Why become a member? ×

active to passive

teaser360

:) call me dumb but ive only been playing for around a year, but in june i purchased a new bb614 yamaha, not relising that this bass was an active only, i wanted both! like my first bass a bb1100s where you could switch it between active and passive, Do you think i could have it modified so i could play in passive aswell? and if so could you recommend any one to carry out the work? im based in leicester
thanks guys

If there's someone here who knows exactly what's inside, and how it's wired, then it might be possible to say more here. Based on the descriptions I read, my [i]guess[/i] is passive pickups wired to an active preamp/EQ circuit, so if someone was to install a bypass, it would leave you with volume and pickup blend, but no EQ.

[quote name='teaser360' post='301719' date='Oct 7 2008, 08:55 PM']thanks for that suppose i should carry a spare battery with me[/quote]
If you are gigging you should carry lots of spares; strings and fuses for starters. I always change my batteries once a year whether they need it or not.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='301752' date='Oct 7 2008, 09:38 PM']If you are gigging you should carry lots of spares; strings and fuses for starters. I always change my batteries once a year whether they need it or not.[/quote]
+1, duracell all the way. I've never needed spare strings before though and i don't think i ever will in all honesty...

It should be an easy job for someone who knows what they are doing, just find a local luthier who knows about wiring.
It's certainly worth doing as the passive sound will be noticeably different and if your bass cavities are well shielded it could also have less noise. It's good to have the choice.