Why become a member? ×

Pimp my bass -redneck style

Dom in Dorset

[color=#1D2129][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Just for fun, I recently acquired this bass , it's a Lindo (they make some serious crap!) It had no strings , the nut was missing and the fretboard was coming away by the headstock. After some basic repairs I have concluded that it could be made to play quite nicely and would suit my redneck friends The Dooks. The plan is to cover the front of the body and headstock in faux alligator skin, level the frets, raise the pickups and maybe upgrade the hardware. Watch this space.
[/font][/color]

I will as soon as I start work on it.
Supposed lindo from Gumtree , note the logo free pickups, the neck extends two frets beyond the last marker (22 fret neck) and pointy upper horn:

Jackson bass , note pickups, rounded horns, (another picture shows ) a 24 fret neck with four frets beyond the last marker and what looks like a die cast bridge (my bass has bent tin.)

If my bass is a Jackson someone has gone to a lot of trouble to hide that fact.

Edited by Dom in Somerset

[color=#1D2129][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I've dismantled it ready for fret leveling and re-finishing. Before starting I marked the worst offending frets for buzz and while removing the machine heads noticed that they too are Lindo branded (nothing on the pickups) I am 99.99999999999999999999999999% certain that this is not a Jackson.
All work is being carried out while wearing a Mack Trucks bassball cap.[/font][/color]

• 3 months later...

It turns out that it's passive! The controls are Vol ,tone, vol, tone + master volume. I'm really pleased with it , it's nice to play and produces some nice tones.
Costs:
Bass - free!
Gatorskin wallpaper - £12.99
Strings - £9.99 (cheap and nasty "king lion" brand but sound fine)
Nut- £1.99
Chain - £8.98 (I bought 2 meters but only used about 1.2M
Total £33.95!