Why become a member? ×

Sweaty P bass

Mr. Foxen

Got a call from my housemate who was doing sound at the venue next door saying the bands bass was malfunctioning so could I take a look. Said 'Sure', and went over to check it out, was having an occasional intermittant volume loss. It was an active P J special or something, Mexican, 3 band EQ, sparkle blue with the gold plastic scratchplate. They are a pop/ska punk band (Mike TV, formerly Pickled Dick, check them out if you like that sorta stuff), and told me their bassist is kinda sweaty, which might not be helping.

Anyway, took it home and took the scratchplate off, having to dig the rust out of the screws forst, found there was enough sweat under there that it pooled. The foil shielding had dissolved into white powder and it smelt like an arm pit. Aside from that the electrics were apparently fine, so sprayed servisol in the pots, wiped off the sweat, cleaned the jack that was a bit manky and put it back together with a few packets of that silica gel stuff inside. Recon that will sort it? Any other suggestions, I got their email address so I can be their e-basstech. Suggested they get a bass with rear loaded controls.

I recall an article years ago (Bass Player?) where Roger Sadowsky talked about "waterproofing" basses for Metallica - even putting them in the bath to test!! I think it was all about sealing the scratchplate and pots with silicone stuff....nice, eh?

BB

That's nasty!!!

[quote name='BassBod' post='300469' date='Oct 6 2008, 01:44 PM']I recall an article years ago (Bass Player?) where Roger Sadowsky talked about "waterproofing" basses for Metallica - even putting them in the bath to test!! I think it was all about sealing the scratchplate and pots with silicone stuff....nice, eh?

BB[/quote]
Haha yeah newsted sweats loads live...