Why become a member? ×

Prince gigs in London

Kiwi

[url="http://www.ticketmaster.co.uk/artist/957438"]http://www.ticketmaster.co.uk/artist/957438[/url]

If you really feel like pushing the boat out, tickets to the aftershow party have just gone on sale. I've got a pair for August 7th but I'm not going to bother with the 14th. He's a master of upselling, that one :).

• 4 weeks later...

Follow up:

Went to the first of my two concerts last night and then the aftershow party. The concert was awesome - I can't believe they managed to sustain that level of energy for two hours straight. Here are some clips on Youtube from earlier performances (I didn't take these, so watch them while the Purple One's lawyers are still facing in the other direction).

The visual on this next one is a bit crap but the sound will give you an idea of how hard they were driving the performance.

and one of the stage during the eoncore of the opening night

I was lucky with the seats - same level as the stage, only they were at the rear (looking at the round bit of the symbol). We were a little concerned in case all the performance was thrown out the front but in the end it didn't matter too much as Prince faced his band (and us) for many of the songs.

The aftershow party was even better than the concert. Imagine being a couple of metres away instead of a hundred! According to some of the other fans there, we got lucky with the aftershow party too because Prince played a couple of sets. Apparently in previous aftershow parties, he did one song and then buggered off leaving his support act to supply the rest of the music for the remaining 2 hours. However last night they ripped funky jams through a load of 70's classics like Billy Cobham's Zarathustra, Stevie Wonder's Superstition/Higher Ground and Sly and Family Stone's Thankufalletinme Bemiceelf. When he first came on you could barely make out the stage for people with camera phones!!

Prince sat in on drums to start with, switched to keys (for the Stevie tracks) and (of course) guitar all of which were played perfectly - what a talent! His band leadership and timing in calling the changes through the songs was impeccable. The brass section in the latin band support act made a couple of mistimed cues but it didn't detract from the overall performance. The Indigo venue was well managed as well.

I got home at 4am this morning - it was in every sense of the word an unforgettable and inspirational night and the best thing is...

...I get to do it all over again the same time next week! :)

[quote name='Sibob' post='42847' date='Aug 8 2007, 12:23 PM']No Rhonda Smith?

Si[/quote]

No, unfortunately not, and no Candy Dulfer on sax either at the aftershow party. Some guy called Theo was on bass but he kept a really low profile. I was a little disappointed by that but the drummer made up for it, she was awesome and millisecond perfect.

Some blurb off the 3121 site showing last nights gig was out of the ordinary if nothing else:

[i]Where 2 begin? Where 2 begin? Whew, whatta nite! Let’s c… ruffled shirts, solo piano set, solo guitar set… new songs in the setlist. Wow.

The night began with none other than Grupo Fanstasma straight outta Texas. Have we mentioned how funky their guitar player is? If u get the chance 2 read this b4 the aftershow begins, betta run n’ get u a spot at Indigo2!

Grupo finishes a funkytight Latin set. Up comes Prince thru stage elevator amidst smoke and cheers. Prince, decked out in black with white ruffled shirt, breaks in2 “Little Red Corvette” on the much-loved Hohner. He treats the crowd 2 a scintillating acoustic-style set 2 open the show — “Raspberry Beret,” then what’s that? “Eye Could Never Take the Place of Ur Man”! Did he really just play that? Next came “Alphabet Street.” The crowd sang along, ready 2 drive 2 Tennessee, but he took us 2 Manchester. Folx went nuts. “Sometimes it Snows in April” followed, featuring Renato Neto, and then the band joined in on “Cream.”
This was gonna b a HOT night, we were feeling it already!

2nite during the “Musicology” dance party, a funky white boy managed 2 surprise us all with some vox on “Play That Funky Music.” Chants of “Freaks on This Side” were heard thruout the danceparty… o yeah, it was like that!

Dancing went straight on thru 2 “Eye Feel 4 U” and “Controversy,” during which Prince told the crowd, “London, can’t nobody mess with my band!” Tell it, Prince!

After Mike and Renato bring the groove down 2 a slow simmer, we c something cookin’ over on the stage’s curl, in the dark. Prince arrives from beneath the stage and sits down 2 the keyboard, treating us all 2 a solo piano set. The riffs played during “Somewhere Here on Earth” were nothing short of amazing. (Has he been listening 2 Renato, or Renato listening 2 him? Hmm…) We’ve never heard the song done this way b4, and can’t even think of words 2 describe how intense it was. Then came “Diamonds & Pearls,” “The Beautiful Ones,” “How Come U Don’t Call Me Anymore?” and another tru surprise — “Condition of the Heart.” The playing was impeccable and the emotion poured in2 these songs was enough 2 melt even the burly house security staff. How does he do it? After “Do Me, Baby,” the band joined in on “Eye Wanna B Ur Lover” and funked thru “If Eye Was Ur Girlfriend,” “Black Sweat,” “Kiss” and “Purple Rain.” With his guitar needing some more time in the spotlight 2nite, Prince & band came back out and played “Let’s Go Crazy,” “Take Me With U” and “Guitar.” 4 the 2nd encore, Grupo’s horns and percussionists joined in 4 a rousing rendition of “Get On The Boat.” Prince blew kisses 2 the crowd b4 leaving. At times the cheering afterwards was so intense we’d thought he’d returned 4 a third encore, but not so 2nite.

AFTERSHOW:

Indigoroupo, could it possibly get any funkier? Whew! Grupo Fantasma kicked thangs up a notch at the Indigo2 and the heat never let up all night. The crowd arrived HONGRY 4 the platters of funk served up by Grupo and the NPG. Early in2 Grupo’s set, Prince struts out in white suit and hot pink shirt, hand in hand with Marva Collins. They break it down on vox with the hook from Lyn Collins’ classic “Think (about it)”. Soul Vaccination got so funky Prince had 2 jump in on Cora’s drums 4 a bit, then Cora took over and played in unison with Grupo’s drummer.

That vaccination drew some sick keys outta Prince on Superstition, Tell Me Something Good and Higher Ground. He switched back 2 guitar on Thankufalletinme Bemiceelf Agin 4 a note-bending battle with Renato. During a Billy Cobham tune, Cora beat some rhythms outta the drums they ain’t neva played b4… it was 3funky.

Indigo2 is just getting started… every night has been completely different than the previous. We don’t what’s 2 come but we SURE know WE AIN’T GON’ MISS IT! [/i]

Its definitely worth going, although the aftershow party is better, you're not guaranteed to see him though. Just leave your camera behind, they confiscated 3000 on Tuesday night at Prince's direct request which resulted in 3000 irate people waiting in line for an hour at a single 5m wide counter. Half of that time was spent with the staff looking stupid and doing nothing.

The official word was that Prince didn't like the flashes, I think he objects to video and images being posted on sites and forums. Maybe he's planning to release the London concert on DVD too eventually.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='42832' date='Aug 8 2007, 11:56 AM']Sly and Family Stone's Thankufalletinme Bemiceelf.[/quote]

Oh your lucky Steve!

Just looked for afterparty tickets but it's over 18's - very annoying! I suppose being a Thursday night it would be unlikely he would play too..

Can you advise me on some albums to purchase for essential listening?

[quote name='dr.funk' post='47926' date='Aug 20 2007, 08:28 PM']Can you advise me on some albums to purchase for essential listening?[/quote]
The [url="http://www.amazon.com/Prince-Rave-un2-Year-2000/dp/B00004Y2QS"]Rave Un2 The Year 2000 [/url]DVD was filmed at the Paisley Park sound stage and its a good performance. I really liked the [url="http://www.amazon.com/Prince-Live-Aladdin-Las-Vegas/dp/B0000AVHDC/ref=pd_sim_v_title/105-2965997-6370060"]Live at The Aladdin, Las Vegas[/url] DVD as well. I can take or leave his greatest hits but the good thing is that both feature funky jams which are the real reason I like Prince. He's the only one really pushing the musical boundaries of pop performance in this way. Beverley Knight gave it a good try the other night though.