Why become a member? ×

Value for trade in or sale

Nicko

How do you value a bass fo trade in or sell when you cant find an equivalent on the market?

I have a bass that I bought new, but I cant remember the price I paid. I suspect I paid about £450 in 2007/2008, but in those days I was being paid a lot of moey so it could have been more or less cos I did't buy on cost. I bought it instead of Fender Jazz (probably not a US) - at that time I preferred it. I hunted for the receipt but with no luck (unusual for me).

Its a reasonable brand, and the US versions are plentiful, but I cant find anything equivalent on EBay, and the model is no longer made. I cant find an old list price either, although I did see something on one thread that the US cost was about $700 when I bought it.

Its been well loked after and looks new apart from some mineor discolouration on the bridge.

An estimate is fine - you can then discuss the deal with a prospective buyer/trader by PM.

It sounds silly but the value is whatever you'd be happy to let it go for. You can check eBay sold listings and other forums but that's about it - what's it worth to you?

Start with Ebay , do a search of your model, and even if it comes up with zero, check as ped suggested

There's ' completed listings ' and ' sold listings ' down the left hand side. You want ' sold listings ' , because the other option doesnt mean they sold, just that the auction ended without it being cancelled by the seller

If Ebay comes up with quite a few sold listings of your bass, you need to be careful about the sale price. Make sure those that sold are in the same condition. For basses that sold too cheap, was the seller desperate for money ? Its hard to tell.

Its just a guide, but if no sales come up, you'll just have to make your own price up. Go high, because you can always haggle down. You cannot do it in reverse

Edited by fleabag