Why become a member? ×

P Bass Truss Rod Issues

Vasquez Rich

Help, I need suggestions or experience from other people for this one.

Got a P Bass to clean & set up for a friend. The neck is showing a slight convex bend with the 5th fret a bit higher than I think it should be. I would like to get it set a bit more straight but the truss rod screw/nut thing is at the body end of the neck and half of it is not visible as it is lower than the top part of the body (if that makes sense).

How do I get at it to turn it? I've tried to give it a bit of a turn on the bit I can see but can't get it to budge. Surely it can be done without unbolting the neck?

Any help greatly appreciated,

Richard

PS: every bass I've ever owned has had the truss rod nut at the other (head) end.

Mine (2007 MIA) came with a Fender tool-basically a very long allen key with a T-handle on the end-with which I managed to tweak mine without removing the scratchplate. Mine didn't seem to want to turn at first, and I was on the brink of giving up and going back to the shop when it finally moved, and was fine after that. I managed to make a small mark in the scratchplate by the notch though-it's hard to do without doing that because of the depth and small size of the notch. If doing it again I'd be forewarned and use something to protect the scratchplate. I suppose removing the neck would eliminate this, but it does seem a bit of a fiddle. I notice that the Fender website doesn't say anything about removing the neck, but it makes sense I suppose. My MIM has the adjustment at the headstock end, which is a darn sight easier.

Edited by Deep Thought

Thanks for all the above guys.

I think I will try to move it without detaching the neck, I have the bass striped down anyway. It has a full scratchplate so I did wonder about cutting a small notch in the body where the neck starts so that I could get a decent screwdriver to it, the scratchplate would hide it nicely. If it was my bass I'd probably do this, as it's not then I will have to go carefully.

Thanks again,

Richard

[quote name='BassManKev' post='299817' date='Oct 5 2008, 11:55 AM']always try and loosen first :)[/quote]

That is actually very GOOD advice. FWIW if I am working on any guitar I havent played with before, i mark the t-rod bolt (or nut) with a fine feltip pen in a line onto the wood. and loosen it at least 1/4 turn before going any tighter.....

My advice is as you havent worked on this bass before, TAKE THE NECK OFF for this first tweak and make sure the bolt/nut is not seized.....

Hearing a grunching noise or loud PING is not something I would like to hear or in your case your mate will thank you for!

I'm not going to take the neck off, it's not so bad as I can't lift the bridge saddles a bit to stop any buzz. If it was mine then maybe, as I like the action better, but not somebody elses.

I think maybe the issue for me personally is that I want to set it up like my Warwick is. I will put it all back together and set it up, new strings, set intonation etc etc and see how the owner thinks it is.

Thanks,

Richard

My jazz has the adjuster at the body end of the neck too, but there's a notch cut in the scratchplate so it looks accessible enough, though i've not needed to touch it yet. Personally i think everyone should do what musicman have done with the little wheel at the body end of the neck, makes truss adjustments so easy!

• 3 weeks later...

I had one like this. I watched my Luthier do it once. He took the neck off, with the strings still wound on :)
They were loosened off but not right off the capstans,
He just flipped it over, took the neck screws out enough to disengage the neck heel, "cocked" the neck so the adjuster was accessible at the beck of the body, tweaked it just the right amount, put it back in and tightened the screws and strings ..
Took about 4 minutes ...

Edited by OldGit

[quote name='OldGit' post='315889' date='Oct 27 2008, 03:28 PM']I had one like this. I watched my Luthier do it once. He took the neck off, with the strings still wound on :)
He just flipped it over, took the neck screws out enough to disengage the neck heel, "cocked" the neck so the adjuster was accessible at the beck of the body, tweaked it just the right amount, put it back in and tightened the screws and strings ..
Took about 4 minutes ...[/quote]
Wow.

This is the kind of knowledge that makes basschat what it is.

[quote name='budget bassist' post='300146' date='Oct 5 2008, 07:52 PM']Personally i think everyone should do what musicman have done with the little wheel at the body end of the neck, makes truss adjustments so easy![/quote]

Or just keep doing what they do now leaving it in an accessible place at the headstock end? :)

[quote name='OldGit' post='315889' date='Oct 27 2008, 03:28 PM']I had one like this. I watched my Luthier do it once. He took the neck off, with the strings still wound on :)

I once took a neck off a bass with the strings still on and didn't like it one bit!

I found unless you leave enough tension in the strings, they come off the tuners anyway and it starts getting messy. If you leave too much tension in em you run the risk of damaging the body / heel screwholes when the screws are loose.

I'd imagine there is some kind of sweet spot which keeps the strings on and doesn't do too much to the screwholes but unless you're doing this sort of thing all day long it seems a little silly to risk damaging your bass to save 5 minutes putting the strings back on.

Good trick though :huh:

[quote name='bigjohn' post='316768' date='Oct 28 2008, 03:16 PM']I once took a neck off a bass with the strings still on and didn't like it one bit!

I found unless you leave enough tension in the strings, they come off the tuners anyway and it starts getting messy. If you leave too much tension in em you run the risk of damaging the body / heel screwholes when the screws are loose.

I'd imagine there is some kind of sweet spot which keeps the strings on and doesn't do too much to the screwholes but unless you're doing this sort of thing all day long it seems a little silly to risk damaging your bass to save 5 minutes putting the strings back on.

Good trick though :huh:[/quote]

He does seem to know what he's doing ... :)
He is even happy to tell people how to do it:
[url="http://edgeguitarservices.co.uk/quickfix.htm"]http://edgeguitarservices.co.uk/quickfix.htm[/url]
however ...
"I do not encourage anyone to work on their own guitars for the same reason I wouldn't advocate teaching yourself to drive; you will almost certainly get there in the end but not without causing a certain amount of chaos on the way."

[quote name='OldGit' post='317431' date='Oct 29 2008, 11:42 AM']however ...
"I do not encourage anyone to work on their own guitars for the same reason I wouldn't advocate teaching yourself to drive; you will almost certainly get there in the end but not without causing a certain amount of chaos on the way."[/quote]

More like " I do not encourage people to work on their own guitars because if they realized how easy it was i would have half the work"

I have adjusted old style fender necks the same way, like most set up jobs if approached with common sense and caution it's not rocket science.
Making changes to the action is a fact of life unless you have a super stable neck and always use the same strings, personally i think every one should learn the basics, theres loads of good info here and else where on the web. Like my car there are some jobs best left to the experts but i can at least do the equivalent of check the oil and tyre pressures :)

Thats great when you are experienced and confident, and yes I do my guitarists fenders (strat and tele) like that (bloody things always seem to need tweaking one way or another very time we change strings) [u][b]BUT [/b][/u] I'm not sure it wise to advocate a noob trying this first time......

Unless I'm missing something....?

[quote name='The Burpster' post='317899' date='Oct 29 2008, 08:15 PM']Thats great when you are experienced and confident, and yes I do my guitarists fenders (strat and tele) like that (bloody things always seem to need tweaking one way or another very time we change strings) [u][b]BUT [/b][/u] I'm not sure it wise to advocate a noob trying this first time......

Unless I'm missing something....?[/quote]

Just mentioned it 'cos it was a surprise. I'd take the strings off, myself, but then I'm not a pro with a deft touch in tweaking basses "just enough" and he is.

Steve-norris said
More like " [b]I do not encourage people to work on their own guitars because if they realized how easy it was i would have half the work[/b]"

Bit cynical, Steve, considering that article then goes on to tell you exactly how easy it is to do the simple stuff yourself.