Why become a member? ×

Amp DI out and phantom power

thinman

[quote name='charic' post='308953' date='Oct 17 2008, 10:17 PM']Lol i was simply referring to the fact that condensers shouldnt be near spl's like a snare due to damaging the diaphragm. The fact its a c1000 makes it worse seein as imo its very overrated unless as live overheads.

Ps. Soz 4 OT[/quote]

Ah Right. Silly me.
TBH i don't know what it is. its a pencil Mic designed for drums but other than i know its a very cheap one that all i can tell you.
I think a SM58 sounds better.

• 3 weeks later...

A phantom powered DI was responsible for damaging the output transisters on my Eden Navigator. Now I have an ART output transformer in my rack, permanently plugged into the DI so it's impossible far even the keenest sound guy to do any damage.

[quote name='charic' post='308953' date='Oct 17 2008, 09:17 PM']Lol i was simply referring to the fact that condensers shouldnt be near spl's like a snare due to damaging the diaphragm. The fact its a c1000 makes it worse seein as imo its very overrated unless as live overheads.[/quote]

Depends on the mic - a C1000 has absolutely no problem being next to a snare. The main issue with placing condensers next to a snare drum is not the high SPL (even my large diaphragm studio condenser can handle it) but the risk of the drummer hitting the mic with his stick and this impact damaging the diaphragm.

It baffles me that any manufacturer would release an amp with a DI that is not phantom power safe but it's actually quite a common problem. Furthermore it tends to be quite hard to find out which DIs are phantom power safe and which aren't!

Alex

I'm about to try obbm's suggestion of using a lead with pin 0 (screen) disconnected.

I can't see why that won't be OK as phantom power puts the +50v supply on both pins 2 and 3 so with ground disconnected that's just floating and there's no potential difference betwen them.

Still, if I blow my DI then I'll let you all know with the merest hint of a red face....