Why become a member? ×

Orange head, but which 410 - Orange or Ampeg??

Alfie Noakes

I've just acquired my dream amp, the Orange AD200 mk3, but I have a cab dilemma. I know from experience that I want/need a 410 but can't decide berween the Orange OBC410 or the Ampeg 410HLF.

Will I get the best results matching Orange with Orange, or will an Ampeg cab make my Orange head sound well, like an Ampeg?

The Ampeg has an adjustable tweeter, and wheels, and looks good in black (I might re-Tolex the Orange head if I get an Ampeg cab) but will it detract from the Orange sound?

The Orange is more likely to bring out the best from the amp, or will it?

For what it's worth, I play a Fender P in a classic rock band, and an active Sandberg in a Britpop band. Yup, split personality or what, but so long as I wear the right t-shirt on the right night, all is well :-)

So, any pointers chaps? Anyone actually been here and done this?? All advice gratefully received.

The Ampeg is very Dark sounding, the tweeter pretty much useless, saying that my guitarist plays his 100W marshall head through an Orange 410 and Im not overly keen on that. The Ampeg suits rock very well isn't too heavy and looks the biz so that would be my choice, saying that, if you're buying new, the barefaced option would get my vote.

The ultimate of course would be the Ampeg 610 or 810 !!!

Edited by skidder652003

I have owned An Ad200b and both an Obc410 and obc115. Firstly the 410 is a brute to move and primarily the reason I sold it, but it did pack a punch , went plenty loud enough but I found it still had quite a dark character.
The 115 was my fave, really good midrange for a 115 that seemed to pair so well with Ad200b which is a bit scooped imho. Easier to move too! No experience of the Ampeg I'm afraid.