Why become a member? ×

Fender Precision 1978-1980? Need help dating!

[color=#1D2129][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I bought this bass as a 1978 precision but now that I am wanting to sell it I have taken it apart to check the dates. I bought the bass when I was about 14 and didn't think to take the bass apart to check dates etc. After finally taking it apart and looking at the serial numbers etc, I have been advised it could be a 1980. I have sent the pictures to Fender and am waiting for confirmation of its age but if anyone else has any idea then please could you let me know as I have no idea what all of the markings mean. I know that the headstock serial number could be anywhere from '78 - '81 and the pickups look like they're 1980? [/font][/color]

Thank you in advance for any help :-)

Topic can be closed - have dated successfully now (and removed photos as need this upload data for a sale :D )

Edited by maximumbass21

Makes little odds as '78 and '80 are the same era build wise. Fender have mixed and matched throughout their history so on a bass with a '78 neck you could quite easily have '76 body and an '80 circuit/PUPs. If your bass is '80 and not '78, it really doesn't change much to anyone who knows the instruments and the era. C

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1467556008' post='3084504']
Makes little odds as '78 and '80 are the same era build wise. Fender have mixed and matched throughout their history so on a bass with a '78 neck you could quite easily have '76 body and an '80 circuit/PUPs. If your bass is '80 and not '78, it really doesn't change much to anyone who knows the instruments and the era. C
[/quote]

Thank you very much for the info :-) I dropped the price from £1,600 to £1,350 before I started looking into the dates for a quick sale. Do you feel the value of a '80 is the same as a '78?

Thanks again