Why become a member? ×

Steinberger XL5..........Or A Hohner - for £1500

It's not just a Hohner, it's a botched, butchered Hohner that looks like it's been in a ditch since 1986. WTF is wrong with people? :lol:

Edit: In the spirit of Being Nice I sent him this note:

[quote]Hi - just thought it reasonable to let you know that unfortunately your bass is not a Steinberger XL5. What it is is a Hohner B5, which is a Korean-made, licenced Steinberger copy, constructed from wood rather than carbon graphite. As such, and considering its poor condition, it's probably worth about one tenth of its starting price.

It's still an uncommon & good quality bass but even in A1 condition its value would only be around the £300 mark.[/quote]

Jon.

Edited by Bassassin

[quote name='lowregisterhead' timestamp='1467542802' post='3084361']
Do let us know if he replies. If he's had it for 20 years as he claims, you'd think he would know what it is, or isn't...
[/quote]

You would, wouldn't you? Not really expecting a response.

J.

He did get back to me, surprisingly. I'm prepared to accept - implausible though it might be - that it was a genune error.

[quote]
[b] Thank you for letting me know.
I was not aware that it was a copy, but further research after your message seems to prove it is indeed a Hohner.
I will now remove the listing.

Thanks again.
Simon.[/b]

[/quote]

In fairness if he actually paid Steinberger money for it 20 years ago, he'll easily make his fifty quid back. :D

J.

.... leading to it being 'pulled' .. with an apology :-

"Thank you for making me aware of the error. I am not an expert on bass guitars and have only ever played for fun.
[b] I can assure you that I genuinely had no idea it was a Hohner, and have now removed the listing following your advice............"[/b]