Why become a member? ×

machinehead help

kingforaday

been searching through the posts about this but can't seem to find the info i need, i'm probably looking in the wrong place...

i bought some schaller M4's to replace the cheap korean tuners in one of my basses but the holes in the headstock are too wide for a snug fit, so i checked other basses and its the same story. what is/is there a standard size for shaft width on a bass tuner? can someone explain to me how it works?

i read on a post i found that i could use the schaller's and fill the gap around them with something but i'd rather not, i'd rather just get a different brand of good quality tuner. also the screw is in the wrong place on schallers (off to one side) compared to the ones i'm replacing (below), didn't realise it was gonna be this complicated!

Hi the screw-threaded bushings on the Schaller M4's are 12mm, if you require something larger you may have to look towards Gotoh which are 14mm on this style of tuner. Have you had a look at [url="http://www.bassguitarpartsdirect.co.uk"]Bass Guitar Parts Direct[/url] they may have something suitable.

Get a digital caliper. Measure the hole diameter. Buy appropriate tuners.

With screw in bushings you can afford a little bit of slack (like a mm) - mount 'em up against the side of the hole nearest the nut like this exaggerated diagram:

Hole altering is a whole new ball game. It's easier to make 'em bigger than it is to make 'em smaller, put it that way.

[quote]There are two sized posts - any look on the interweb will show that. Buy the right ones.[/quote]

There are several sizes and different fittings, I found that out when I fitted the Schaller M4S to a Mighty Mite/Fender neck. The holes drilled in the headstock can vary from 12 to 20mm. The M4S that I have require a 17mm hole and the hole in the headstock were 18mm.

Any how back on subject according to the Schaller site the M4 requires a 12mm hole so anything alot bigger would require doweling and re-drilling.

You're obviously not keen to do it but I had a similar problem with Schallers I fitted to a Fender. I just put 2 wraps of insulating tape round each machine for a more snug fit.Invisible. Been on 20 years and countless gigs now - no issues and never goes out of tune or anything.

Just my 10 penneth.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='298876' date='Oct 3 2008, 06:58 PM']You're obviously not keen to do it but I had a similar problem with Schallers I fitted to a Fender. I just put 2 wraps of insulating tape round each machine for a more snug fit.Invisible. Been on 20 years and countless gigs now - no issues and never goes out of tune or anything.

Just my 10 penneth.[/quote]

well i wasn't keen but as you've had them on for that long with no problems i may give that a go and see what i reckon. cheers for that dr.dave!

[quote name='kingforaday' post='296987' date='Oct 1 2008, 07:36 PM']also the screw is in the wrong place on schallers (off to one side) compared to the ones i'm replacing (below),[/quote]

Gotoh GB7 (and the cheap copy versions), and Hipshot Ultralites have the mounting screw centred.

[quote name='markytbass' post='297333' date='Oct 2 2008, 10:12 AM']There are several sizes and different fittings, I found that out when I fitted the Schaller M4S to a Mighty Mite/Fender neck. The holes drilled in the headstock can vary from 12 to 20mm. The M4S that I have require a 17mm hole and the hole in the headstock were 18mm.

Any how back on subject according to the Schaller site the M4 requires a 12mm hole so anything alot bigger would require doweling and re-drilling.[/quote]
Take your word for it. When I got my ultralights they come in 1/2 and 3/8 inch sizes.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='300817' date='Oct 6 2008, 09:20 PM']Take your word for it. When I got my ultralights they come in 1/2 and 3/8 inch sizes.[/quote]

Your both kinda correct, the traditional sizes for US basses (the US has never been very good at accepting metric anything) was indeed 3/8 + 1/2...

I'll believe you'll find that Schallers are a metric equivalent and indeed the required bore sizes are 12mm and 17mm.....

If you want /need trad US sizes, your better off with an American make replacement, Gotoh or Hipshot still work in US AF sizes.....

Bless 'em....