Why become a member? ×

Scotts Bass lessons sign up.

bubinga5

I did a year on SBL and got a lot out of it. It does a great deal to get you from the ground to a few floors up but then you kind of have to know what you want to lear after that. There is little in the way of direction through the great lessons available.

Might just have been me...

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='gs_triumph' timestamp='1485897158' post='3227615']
I did a year on SBL and got a lot out of it. It does a great deal to get you from the ground to a few floors up but then you kind of have to know what you want to lear after that. There is little in the way of direction through the great lessons available.

Might just have been me...
[/quote]

I don't think it is just you. Pretty sure this is the number one suggestion/complaint people make. Lot of talk on SBL about this recently. There is a update to the platform to give a clearer path through all all the content in the works apparently. Not sure if this gives some kind of sophisticated curriculum, or if if just categorising everything into beginner/intermediate/advanced.

[quote name='lownote12' timestamp='1485615962' post='3225336']
I have been with SBL since it started six years ago, pretty much. Scott trickles out short lessons, a live show on Facebook and tasters from courses for nothing - or a sign up and no more, but all the serious stuff is behind the Academy wall.

IMHO you won't find a more comprehensive learning resource on the planet than the Academy and for the money it is crazy value. Hours of expert video learning on every aspect of bass from beginner to grown-up, plus guest seminars and lessons from a growing faculty of other bass gods - even Gary Willis now! - plus you can send Scott a video of your stuff for him to evaluate. By comparison I have paid close to £100 for three hours of personal tutition from local tutors who taught me sweet fanny adams, frankly.

But there are downsides to SBL:[list=1]
[*]I have found a lot of equally useful material for free on other sites like Talking Bass.net.
[*]Scott has taught himself to be a thoroughly professional and charismatic presenter but at times he tries too hard to appeal to all ages and his attempts to dress, act and talk like an American 18 year old (when's he's actually nearly 40) do grate after a while.
[*]The forum community (or Campus as its called) can be very helpful, especially for beginners. However, it's very earnest, a bit twee and heavily regulated by 'campus managers'. Not everyone's cup of tea.
[*]SBL is increasingly commercial. Scott has already made his first million and is clearly determined to make more and it won't be long before the marketing gets too much in your face.
[*]Don't expect to be spoon-fed. This is like uni, not school. To some extent you have to figure out for yourself what you need to learn, find the stuff and then organise your learning. Some would say that's an upside not a downside, unless you need spoonfeeding.
[/list]
So, in a nutshell, my advice is if you're new to bass and seriously want to make a go of it, think of SBL as an online university of quality yet cheaper than any real uni by a factor of 100. But if you've already got your stuff together it's not worth joining, just watch out for his freebies in case anything comes up. And if he's trailing a must-have course you can't miss, do the 14 day free trial and take copious notes over a wet weekend.

Edited to be less rude to people.
[/quote]

Agree with a fair amount of this being a member on SBL as well. It's well worth the money (imo) and have got a lot out of it just in terms of the inspiration it's given me. The only thing I really struggle with is that there is so much content on there that I will never get around to watching or reading it all.

I like the fact that there aren't any slagging matches on the forum - a breath of fresh air having been on forums for the last 16 years where slagging matches are accepted as the norm :(. It's just a bunch of really great people helping each other out with music and bass stuff in general.

Judging from my encounters with Scott, he comes across as being a good bloke. If he's made a ton of dosh out of it - fair play to him, especially as he's from a working class background, and from what I can see, he's grafted for it and he's got a good team of people working with him. Comparing his first videos he put up 6/7 years ago to what he's created now shows how much he's learned about selling his business, but it's a business that's at the forefront of education for bass players.

[quote name='louisthebass' timestamp='1487411098' post='3239548']

Agree with a fair amount of this being a member on SBL as well. It's well worth the money (imo) and have got a lot out of it just in terms of the inspiration it's given me. The only thing I really struggle with is that there is so much content on there that I will never get around to watching or reading it all.

I like the fact that there aren't any slagging matches on the forum - a breath of fresh air having been on forums for the last 16 years where slagging matches are accepted as the norm :(. It's just a bunch of really great people helping each other out with music and bass stuff in general.

Judging from my encounters with Scott, he comes across as being a good bloke. If he's made a ton of dosh out of it - fair play to him, especially as he's from a working class background, and from what I can see, he's grafted for it and he's got a good team of people working with him. Comparing his first videos he put up 6/7 years ago to what he's created now shows how much he's learned about selling his business, but it's a business that's at the forefront of education for bass players.
[/quote]

I'm member too and I would agree with everything you say. It is definitely not without fault, but my playing has moved on massively in the last 6 months.

[quote name='louisthebass' timestamp='1487411098' post='3239548']

[/quote]

+1 to all of this.

• 8 months later...

[quote name='CameronJ' timestamp='1509620378' post='3400314']
Sorry to dig up an old thread but is SBL still offering the lifetime membership? I can't seem to find it on the website...:/
[/quote]

Lifetime membership is offered to you after you have done a year of the standard membership - you can then renew year by at a reduced rate or sign up for lifetime membership which works out at a bit less than two years subs.

I'm assuming you aren't a member already? If you are a member then the site admin send you the lifetime offer as your 1st year sub runs out.

[quote name='No. 8 Wire' timestamp='1509623590' post='3400358']

Lifetime membership is offered to you after you have done a year of the standard membership - you can then renew year by at a reduced rate or sign up for lifetime membership which works out at a bit less than two years subs.

I'm assuming you aren't a member already? If you are a member then the site admin send you the lifetime offer as your 1st year sub runs out.
[/quote]

Ah, yes. I was a member but it expired a while back. Spoke to Laura from the SBL support team via email and she’s been very helpful. She said I can just send her an email whenever I’m ready to go for it and she’ll email me an invoice for the lifetime fee. I’ll ponder on it a while but I reckon I may go for it. It’s a bargain and I enjoy the content.

[quote name='CameronJ' timestamp='1509657905' post='3400709']

Ah, yes. I was a member but it expired a while back. Spoke to Laura from the SBL support team via email and she’s been very helpful. She said I can just send her an email whenever I’m ready to go for it and she’ll email me an invoice for the lifetime fee. I’ll ponder on it a while but I reckon I may go for it. It’s a bargain and I enjoy the content.
[/quote]

That's great. Good to know they are pragmatic about offering you the lifetime even after your subscription has expired.

[quote name='No. 8 Wire' timestamp='1509660763' post='3400745']

That's great. Good to know they are pragmatic about offering you the lifetime even after your subscription has expired.
[/quote]

I was pleasantly surprised by that myself. Big thumbs up there.

• 1 year later...