Why become a member? ×

Dingwall Super Jazz 4 - SOLD

funkle

Hi all,

Up for sale is my nearly-new Dingwall Super Jazz 4. After my experiences with this bass, I have been in discussions with Sheldon Dingwall about commissioning a more customised SJ4, and it’s 50% down with a 7 month wait…so I need to free up some funds!

I recently bought it off of the original owner, who used it twice on a recording session and then put it back in its case. Apparently he had 15 other basses and had to thin out the herd a little. Came to me strung with flats (which are included in the sale), but I strung it up with DR Jonas Hellborg’s (40 – 100 gauge) – which are, I think, the perfect string for this bass. Crisp, funky jazz bass sounds plus a few other tricks, courtesy of the incredibly flexible electronics package. Great slap feel on it too.

One of the things I really love about the electronics on this bass are how uncoloured the preamp is when it’s activated – sounds exactly the same as when the bass is being run passive - at least until you boost the bass/treble knobs…

It only takes a few minutes to get used to the fanned frets, and I find the claimed benefits of more even string ‘tension’ and improvement of tone to be true. Plus you don’t need to use custom Dingwall strings on the SJ4! Bonus.

This particular bass is also fairly light (8.5 lbs) and resonant – presumably partly due to Sheldon’s custom chambering of the body.

I have handled this bass with great care, and there are no dings or nicks. I did find a small area of loss of chrome on the bridge after it was shipped to me (see bridge pic), but no obvious reason for this. Otherwise this instrument is pristine, as the photos show, and the glossy black finish is flawless. It’s so new, when I first got it, the bass and the case still smelled of the nitro finish! As it stands, the case even still smells faintly of the nitro…

The bass is truly professional, and one of the best built instruments I have played, bar none. Let’s just say I’ve played every kind of Jazz I could get my hands on over the passing years (yes, I have visited Sadowsky’s shop in Brooklyn, thanks for asking) and, for me, this one is top of the list. It is, quite simply, one of the most thoughtfully put-together instruments I have ever played, from the deeper body contours on the back, to the novel battery compartment which uses magnets to keep it closed, to the incredibly well-thought out electronics package.

Action is currently set very low (3/64” on E string at 12th fret with the first fret capo’d), with minimal neck relief – I have a light touch. It would be simple to raise it for the buyer, should it be desired.

[b]Specifications
[/b]
(as per the Dingwall website -http://www.dingwallguitars.com/html/products_superj.html)
[list]
[*]Weight – 8.5 lbs
[*]2 or 3 piece Alder body, chambered
[*]5 piece laminated Maple neck, Morado fret board
[*]1.5” neck width at the nut, 2.5” neck width at 22nd fret
[*]Phenolic nut
[*]22 banjo-size frets (similar size to vintage Fender frets)
[*]34.5” – 32” scale (E – G)
[*]19mm string spacing at the bridge
[*]Dingwall Passive Humcancelling Pickups
[*]Controls: Volume, Rotary pickup switch (neck, series, parallel, rear), Bass boost, Active Treble boost/Passive cut on single pot, passive/active switch
[*]18V Aguilar OBP 2 band preamp
[*]Custom Hipshot Ultralight Tuners, with optional Hipshot Ultralight Xtender
[/list]

[b]Reviews
[/b]
[list]
[*]Bass Player, Nov 2006 - [url="http://www.bassplayer.com/article/dingwall-super-j/nov-06/23904"]http://www.bassplayer.com/article/dingwall...-j/nov-06/23904[/url]
[*]Vintage Guitar Player, Jan 2008 – [url="http://www.dingwallguitars.com/pdf/Dingwall_VG_Jan08.pdf"]http://www.dingwallguitars.com/pdf/Dingwall_VG_Jan08.pdf[/url]
[/list]

As it stands, to get an equally spec’d instrument new, you’d be looking at just about ₤2000 (not including, I don’t think, customs/VAT etc).

I am looking for [b]₤1500[/b] plus shipping; you can PM me with offers. The bass will ship in the original SKB hardcase with the Dingwall adjustment tools, instruction manual, and a set of flatwounds.

If you’re in Edinburgh and would like to try, then I’m happy for you to stop by and give it a shot. Just drop me a PM!

Pete

Edited by funkle

[quote name='JohnnyLightyear' post='295941' date='Sep 30 2008, 10:00 PM']Looks lovely but I think I might fall over while playing it! :)[/quote]

Why? Fanned frets don't make you drink... :huh:

Edited by funkle

[quote name='Toasted' post='296369' date='Oct 1 2008, 11:36 AM']If anyone's wondering what it's like to play a fanned fret, it's honestly no different to playing a parrallel fret bass. The change took 0 seconds for me, and I can switch back and forth between the two easily.[/quote]

I found much the same.

[quote name='d-basser' post='296411' date='Oct 1 2008, 11:59 AM']argh this is soooo lovely, dont need any organs do you?[/quote]

Sadly (for you, rather than for me), all organs present and correct.

[quote name='d-basser' post='296555' date='Oct 1 2008, 01:25 PM']sure you dont need spares? this is a lovely bass, if it was a five string i would currently be selling my flatmate to buy it.

Funkle is a great guy btw for anyone seriously considering this[/quote]

Thanks for the props!

I hear the new SJ5's are creating quite a splash across the pond...very tasty looking too.

Pete

• 2 weeks later...