Why become a member? ×

Box of Tricks

waynepunkdude

I went past a junk shop the other day and saw a box that looked perfect for vinyl I asked the guy how much he wanted for it he "a pand" (that means pound down here) anyway I got it back to work sat there for an hour then realised I hadn't looked in it, so I opened it and to my disappointment it was a Nicky Clark hairdryer box.

Anyway I get home and think it would be good as a box for my gigging bits (I already have a box for that stuff but it's falling apart) if it wasn't so girly all silver and sparkly so I gave it a spray job and put the band name on it.

I think I did an alright job.

Anyway I was thinking we always tell new people to bass and gigging what to take to a gig so I thought maybe we should have a thread on the subject also check out my half arsed handy work.

In mine I have

Leads
Spare leads
Pliers
Deodrant
Multi screwdriver
Torch
WD40 style spray
Leatherman tool
Fast Fret
Pick Holders
Picks
Kazoo
Spare strings new and old
Allen Keys
Drum key
Stanley knife
String winder
GAFFER TAPE

I think thats it.

Edited by waynepunkdude

[quote name='Maxcat' post='295922' date='Sep 30 2008, 09:48 PM']All of the above plus

Extension Lead
RCD Breaker
Mic
Spare Kettle Lead for Amp
Towel
Pledge
and most importantly my awsome Mic Stand screw on Pint Glass Holder (Never leave home without one :)[/quote]

I keep the towel, kettle lead and extension in the back of my rack.

I like the sound of the drink holder.

Edited by waynepunkdude

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='295926' date='Sep 30 2008, 09:52 PM']I keep the towel, kettle lead and extension in the back of my rack.

I like the sound of the drink holder.[/quote]
Thomann Best £8 youll ever spend. Get the more expensive one cos the its built like a tank and fully enclosed so the glaas/bottle cant slip out. It is genius

[quote name='Maxcat' post='295922' date='Sep 30 2008, 09:48 PM']and most importantly my awsome Mic Stand screw on Pint Glass Holder (Never leave home without one :)[/quote]

yeah I've got one of those too. Spilled drinks in your foot pedals and leads is horrible ..

Wayne, that's a bargain mate!

Mine live in a huge rolling plastic trunk thing and in an Action man ammo case liberated from my son. That arrives in teh big plastic rolling trunk thing but then goes on top of my rack for fast access at gigs

I do loads in my band so mine has all of the above,
Plus

In the Ammo box:
Batteries of several sizes,
Muji screwdriver set (I can't recommend this highly enough. It's brilliant)

shakers
claves
recorder, penny whistle
duck call
Lonesome US train whistle thing
samba whistle
Swanee whistle (for clangers conversations)
callers notes
band publicity handouts
clip to hold notes and word notes to mic stand
sax reed

In the big crate:
Batteries
Soldering iron set
Spare cables, mic/di (x6), speaker, guitar (x2), power 9x3 different lengths)
PCB
Mains 3 and 4 gangs
Guitar strap
More batteries
clip on guitar holder x 2 (clips to table or cab handle)
about 1 kilo of Jelly Babies in bertie the big Jelly baby dispenser

Words, set lists, chord charts,
Patch leads
Pliers set
Yet more batteries (radio mics eat 'em)
Luggage straps: to strap my rack to the speaker cabs, lights to things, speakers to things, whatever ...

etc ...

Edited by OldGit

[quote name='OldGit' post='295953' date='Sep 30 2008, 10:10 PM']yeah I've got one of those too. Spilled drinks in your foot pedals and leads is horrible ..

Wayne, that's a bargain mate!

Mine live in a huge rolling plastic trunk thing and in an Action man ammo case liberated from my son. That arrives in teh big plastic rolling trunk thing but then goes on top of my rack for fast access at gigs

I do loads in my band so mine has all of the above,
Plus

In the Ammo box:
Batteries of several sizes,
Muji screwdriver set (I can't recommend this highly enough. It's brilliant)

shakers
claves
recorder, penny whistle
duck call
Lonesome US train whistle thing
samba whistle
Swanee whistle (for clangers conversations)
callers notes
band publicity handouts
clip to hold notes and word notes to mic stand
sax reed

In the big crate:
Batteries
Soldering iron set
Spare cables, mic/di (x6), speaker, guitar (x2), power 9x3 different lengths)
PCB
Mains 3 and 4 gangs
Guitar strap
More batteries
clip on guitar holder x 2 (clips to table or cab handle)
about 1 kilo of Jelly Babies in bertie the big Jelly baby dispenser

Words, set lists, chord charts,
Patch leads
Pliers set
Yet more batteries (radio mics eat 'em)
Luggage straps: to strap my rack to the speaker cabs, lights to things, speakers to things, whatever ...

etc ...[/quote]
I think I need a bertie and a set of those screwies :)

[quote name='MuseMatt' post='295980' date='Sep 30 2008, 10:35 PM']Kazoo is brilliant
I abused one in this song

[/quote]

i just skiped through a bit to the kazzoo bit... and the begin with it sounded like pink floyd style electric guitar!

[quote name='Maxcat' post='295956' date='Sep 30 2008, 10:14 PM']I think I need a bertie and a set of those screwies :)[/quote]

Ha ha Bertie was a limited edition. We have two, in case one gets injured ...
He is frequently kidnapped at gigs by kids and young women ...

The screwdriver set is available from Muji for about £6 ..
[url="http://www.muji.eu/pages/online.asp?V=1&Sec=3&Sub=22&PID=701&CHK=Y"]http://www.muji.eu/pages/online.asp?V=1&am...D=701&CHK=Y[/url]

I bought about 10 sets one Christmas and gave them to everyone :huh:
They are magnetic, precision engineered and tough as old boots. The handle goes on straight or as an L handle for more power.
Sheer Japanese brilliance and a essential bit of kit for onstage when you need to screw your strap pegs back in mid tune or change a battery or tighten a mic lead plug end screw, stab your guitarist etc ...

Comprehensive, well yeah ..

I forgot the kazoos (if it's good enough for Jimi Hendrix it's good enough for me, of course I play a right handed one)
[url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=U0aMB_hnoIc"]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=U0aMB_hnoIc[/url]

I play quite a lot of stuff in our band, various pipes, (sax too sometimes), percussion, sonic jokes, mucking about etc, and over the 40 or so years I've been gigging I've met all sorts of challenges to keep the show on the road.

When you are playing someone's wedding 100 miles from home a blown fuse (oh, forgot to mention those) or broken lead lead or a dry solder joint should not be enough to stop you playing...

Of course then there's the mic and radio mics box and stands, the rack with head, wireless, foot pedals and all its cables and stuff, the double gig bag with all the bass (guitar) maintenance stuff, the upright stick bass and its bits an pieces, the foot pedals case with loads more batteries, the stage lights box, the sax mic, stand and reflector, the powered monitor and all its cables, the stage clothes, guitar stands ...

hummmmmmm Next time it will be a chromatic harmonica and bullet mic ....

Edited by OldGit

[quote name='bassmandan' post='295972' date='Sep 30 2008, 10:28 PM']Dammit! every gig box should contain one of these.... OG, I've seen the light........ many thanks[/quote]

ha ha you'd be surpised how often a Clangers soup dragon bit features in our show :)

[quote name='OldGit' post='296271' date='Oct 1 2008, 10:34 AM']Ha ha Bertie was a limited edition. We have two, in case one gets injured ...
He is frequently kidnapped at gigs by kids and young women ...

The screwdriver set is available from Muji for about £6 ..
[url="http://www.muji.eu/pages/online.asp?V=1&Sec=3&Sub=22&PID=701&CHK=Y"]http://www.muji.eu/pages/online.asp?V=1&am...D=701&CHK=Y[/url]

I bought about 10 sets one Christmas and gave them to everyone :)
They are magnetic, precision engineered and tough as old boots. The handle goes on straight or as an L handle for more power.
Sheer Japanese brilliance and a essential bit of kit for onstage when you need to screw your strap pegs back in mid tune or change a battery or tighten a mic lead plug end screw, stab your guitarist etc ...

Comprehensive, well yeah ..

I forgot the kazoos (if it's good enough for Jimi Hendrix it's good enough for me, of course I play a right handed one)
[url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=U0aMB_hnoIc"]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=U0aMB_hnoIc[/url]

I play quite a lot of stuff in our band, various pipes, (sax too sometimes), percussion, sonic jokes, mucking about etc, and over the 40 or so years I've been gigging I've met all sorts of challenges to keep the show on the road.

When you are playing someone's wedding 100 miles from home a blown fuse (oh, forgot to mention those) or broken lead lead or a dry solder joint should not be enough to stop you playing...

Of course then there's the mic and radio mics box and stands, the rack with head, wireless, foot pedals and all its cables and stuff, the double gig bag with all the bass (guitar) maintenance stuff, the upright stick bass and its bits an pieces, the foot pedals case with loads more batteries, the stage lights box, the sax mic, stand and reflector, the powered monitor and all its cables, the stage clothes, guitar stands ...

hummmmmmm Next time it will be a chromatic harmonica and bullet mic ....[/quote]

What do you drive OG? A four tonne truck?