Why become a member? ×

12" cabs

isteen

If I say Warwick WCA 112 vs EBS 112 CL, what would you say?

The long story is this: In one band I play on a EBS Reidmar through two EBS 112 CL cabs. Best combination I have ever tried.

In another band I currently use a Warwick 610, and various heads - but not completely happy with the tone from the 610.

I have a Warwick WCA 115 at home that sounds pretty good - and I have been thinking of placing a 12" on top of that 15" (and replace those cabs with the 610 with the band).
Since I love the EBS sound, one would obviously choose that one - but would the tone be more "natural" if I went with a second Warwick - the 112?

Best thing would of course be to get a complete EBS set, but money is putting a hold of that - so: a Warwick WCA 115 with either a Warwick WCA 112/EBS 112 CL?

Please let me know what you think, thanks

It'd probably be more natural to use more matching 12s instead of mixing the cabs if possible, I know you said you don't have the money but it's probably not worth the money spending it to do that unless your planning to get another one later and then run two 2x12 rigs.

A 4x10 or 12 or whatever from one brand is never really engineered to match with say a 15 from the same brand, they might have similar character but there'll be a lot of frequencies cancelling each other out unless you use a crossover, and in doing so you'll be losing a lot of output from both cabs, as they're both designed to be relatively full range. That's my understanding anyway, in general unless cabs are specifically engineered as subs/mids/tops etc then it's a bad idea to mix cabs that overlap frequencies.

How does the 15 sound on its own? If it sounds any good another 15 could be an option, people band on about them not having enough mids or whatever but it's total nonsense in most of them unless they've been designed specifically as subs which they rarely are, have a go and mess around with your EQ and see if you like it for either of your bands.

Edited by SwamiRob

The 'rules' are very simple. If you have a sound you like and want more of it then buy more identical speakers.

If you mix speakers then you generally lose some of the character of both. It's hard to say what the effect of mixing cabs will be but easy to try. Most of us end up trying all the combinations available to us sooner or later, just out of curiosity. Sometimes it works but a mixture of speakers needs to be tried before you buy.