Why become a member? ×

Gallien 'limiter' knob - what does it do?!

goonieman

Hi All,

I have a GK 150 MBE-III that i'm fiddling with, trying to get some different tones. In doing so, i've just gone back to the limiter for the first time in ages. What the heck does it do? I can't get it to do anything! Zero tone change as far as I can tell... and i turned it up very load for a brief moment.

Is it bust, (not sure how that would happen) or am i doing something wrong? Anyone know?

cheers

If it's anything like the one on a Peavey power amp I had yonks back, it's just to limit the potentially damaging peaks at high volumes without otherwise affecting (or effecting) the signal, so to be at all audible you'd have to be rattling the house.. probably not hear it anyway! :-D

As far as I know it's to stop the power amp from clipping, or distorting. You may want your pre-amp to distort as this can sound pleasant depending on what you're after, but generally you don't want power amp distortion, at least not from a solid-state amp. This doesn't apply to valve amps, where (I think) power amp distortion is part of 'that' valve sound. Or something.

Edited by discreet

Thanks guys...In that way, it makes sense, but from the manual:

[i]Varies the power amp output from 20 watts to 150 watts. When using the limiter, start with the adjustment knob turned fully clockwise. Turn the knob counterclockwise to decrease distortion.[/i]

[i]When the upper level of an amplifier’s usable dynamic range is exceeded, audible signal distortion will occur which can damage speakers. Reducing the volume would create more headroom, but also increases the signal to noise ratio. It is therefore necessary to keep the volume level as high as possible. This is accomplished by using a limiter. A limiter sets a ceiling called the ‘threshold’, which restricts peak signals from exceeding the threshold point, allowing you to play at a higher overall volume level with less noise and less risk of distortion. While more limiting means increased headroom, it can also rob the dynamic range from your signal. Be careful not to overdo it.[/i]

I'm playing at bedroom levels, and I do get the amp to distort by driving the front end and keeping the overall master toned down. However, the limiter does not affect this in any way. Maybe I am not getting any power distortion at all... only preamp?

[quote name='hubrad' timestamp='1465389360' post='3067747']
If it's anything like the one on a Peavey power amp I had yonks back, it's just to limit the potentially damaging peaks at high volumes without otherwise affecting (or effecting) the signal, so to be at all audible you'd have to be rattling the house.. probably not hear it anyway! :-D
[/quote]
Years ago I had a great Peavey 210 watt 400 series head. Believe the earlier ones (Mk111?) didn't have the DDT Peavey limiter thing,
and was a great amp. However, I later got the updated Mk1V which did have it, and it seemed to kill the spirit of the thing.
Got my amp tech guy to disable it and voila! Opened up the whole performance of the amp.