Why become a member? ×

Bloody GAS

Exile252

Dispite being a student (which I'm sure people know is a poor occupation), I have come across a limited edition Musicman Stingray. I am very close to seeing if the music store which has the bass, does a weekly-monthly payment thingy mahbob. If they do, and I can get a good deal out of it, then I'll take it. What do you guys think of a desperate situation like this?

Here is of the bass in question.

[attachment=14073:Stingray.jpg]

Does anyone here have any experience with this bass, also, what makes it limited edition other than the colour and the hardcase?

[quote name='Exile252' post='293861' date='Sep 28 2008, 01:17 PM']What do you guys think of a desperate situation like this?[/quote]
To be honest I'd set your sights a little lower and don't get into a big debt over it. You can find something just about as good - maybe even better for probably less than a third of its price, - [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=27918"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=27918[/url]

Hamster

[quote name='Exile252' post='293861' date='Sep 28 2008, 01:17 PM']Dispite being a student (which I'm sure people know is a poor occupation), I have come across a limited edition Musicman Stingray. I am very close to seeing if the music store which has the bass, does a weekly-monthly payment thingy mahbob. If they do, and I can get a good deal out of it, then I'll take it. What do you guys think of a desperate situation like this?

Here is of the bass in question.

[attachment=14073:Stingray.jpg]

Does anyone here have any experience with this bass, also, what makes it limited edition other than the colour and the hardcase?[/quote]

Don't get into debt buying a bass when you already possess 2 others...it won't make you a better player !!!
If the cash is burning the proverbial hole then by all means sort your GAS out.
There will be plenty "Limited Edition" Stingrays for you to buy in the future when you don't have to decide between food or bass

Have you tried the bass yet? Does it feel immediately right for you? These are the questions I'd be asking, because it's not worth getting into debt if it's just something you fancy at the time. Obviously I'm in a different position now (almost 40) but I always make sure I have saved the money to buy things and never borrow or use credit cards. I was in a similar situation to you when I was 20. That's when I bought my first really good bass. I also took out finance to buy it over three years, but if you're a student, make sure you can really afford to make the repayments. I was able to afford it at the time, as I was working at the same time as studying. That's all I'd say. Perhaps sell one of your others to help fund it as well?

Rich.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='293907' date='Sep 28 2008, 02:38 PM']Have you tried the bass yet? Does it feel immediately right for you? These are the questions I'd be asking, because it's not worth getting into debt if it's just something you fancy at the time. Obviously I'm in a different position now (almost 40) but I always make sure I have saved the money to buy things and never borrow or use credit cards. I was in a similar situation to you when I was 20. That's when I bought my first really good bass. I also took out finance to buy it over three years, but if you're a student, make sure you can really afford to make the repayments. I was able to afford it at the time, as I was working at the same time as studying. That's all I'd say. Perhaps sell one of your others to help fund it as well?

Rich.[/quote]

I believe I am capable of of paying for it, I hardly go out drinking (I find it boring) and I hardly spend much one food (about £20 or less a week). On top of this my family send me £70 a week.

I've tried this bass, and yeah, it feels right for me, I love the shape, the sound and the general feel to the bass. Its may fave bass I've played. I'll be heading to the music shop (PMT in Leeds, which I think was a sound control before now) tomorrow, so I'll get some more details then.

It is a nice bass, if you really want it and can afford it then by all means get it, though you may be paying over the odds for it considering you could get a used, non LE model for about £500 or there abouts.

The only thinks that make that a limited edition are the colour and the fact that it says limited edition on the back just under the neck plate. No differences in regards to hardware, pickups, electronics, construction etc. So unless you're THAT in love with the colour, i'd suggest you save your money and buy a used one off either the forum or ebay. Just my 0.02

I used to own one of these (the one that's just sold on the forum, actually!), after GASing after it for ages. It was my second 'ray, picked up when I was touring and could justify the spending :)

They're fantastic basses, but as mentioned above, there's nothing 'Ltd Edition' about them apart from the paint job and the fancy case, which doesn't take van abuse as well as the standard MM case does. As gorgeous as it is, I couldn't recommend paying full whack for one when second hand stingrays are so affordable right now. Everyone should own a Stingray, but I wouldn't pay shop prices for one at the moment!