Why become a member? ×

BFM Omni 10.5 build.

andyonbass

Well, the BFM Omnis generated quite a bit of interest at the SE bash, yesterday, so I thought I'd post some pics of the build process

first off the obligatory pile of wood. I got the merchants to cut the 8x4 sheet into strips equal to the height of the cabs, firstly so they fit in my car and secondly, it ensures that the sides, the horn plates and the baffle braces are all the same height, allowing the top to fit perfectly, reducing the risk of leaks. The plans provide instructions to construct a guideboard which enable perfectly straight and accurate cuts to be made.

[attachment=14034:DSCF0007.JPG] [attachment=14035:DSCF0005.JPG]

The horn plates are attached to the baffle braces at a 45 degree angle, which can be cut accurately by adjusting the circular saw accordingly,however, the front edge of the horn plate meets the sides at 60 degrees, which is out of the adjustment range of my saw, so the plans provide clever instructions to overcome this by clamping the two horn plate assemblies together, enabling the angle to be achieved.

[attachment=14036:DSCF00083.JPG]

The horn assembly is now attached to the base, note the straight edge behind the baffle braces, to ensure it is perfectly aligned so the speaker baffle will fit without leaking

[attachment=14037:hornplates.JPG]

The sides, tweeter baffle and top are fitted next, then the little triangular pieces are constructed and fitted into the horn opening and its beginning to take shape

[attachment=14042:25may2.JPG]

[attachment=14038:25may3.JPG] [attachment=14039:25may4.JPG]

Here's both of them at this stage

[attachment=14040:bfm1.JPG] [attachment=14041:bfm.JPG]

Edited by andyonbass

Next job is carpeting :)
Starting with the horn and the sides

[attachment=14043:13_july.JPG]

Then top and bottom

[attachment=14044:20july1.JPG] [attachment=14045:20july2.JPG] [attachment=14046:20july3.JPG]

The carpeting wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be!

Next job is to cut out the speaker baffle and trim the back so it will fit snugly with the carpet attached

[attachment=14047:DSCF0002.JPG] [attachment=14048:DSCF0010.JPG]

Carpet the back and attach the handles and put the tweeters in

[attachment=14049:20july4.JPG] [attachment=14050:139.2.JPG] [attachment=14051:DSCF0009.JPG]

The next thing I did was to attach the connector plate and corners.

[attachment=14052:139.5.JPG]

Which leaves mounting the speaker on the baffle, wiring it and the tweeters up, inserting sound damping material and lining the insides with foam
[attachment=14053:25sept.JPG]

The finished article!!

[attachment=14054:25sept1.JPG] [attachment=14055:25sept2.JPG][attachment=14056:25sep4.JPG]

Its taken me 6 months of grabbing an hour or two, here and there,mostly outside when it hasn't been raining! but I really am pleased with the end result, and I'm sure that the guys who were at the bash yesterday will confirm that its quite remarkable, the sound that these two little boxes produce. I have no prior woodworking experience, apart from making a toothbrush holder at school (and then the brush kept falling out!)so I reckon if I can do it, anyone can!

[quote name='skelf' post='293895' date='Sep 28 2008, 02:05 PM']Nice work Andy.
If they sound anything like the 10 I heard that was built by Dave Perry you will be well pleased with them.
Alan[/quote]

Thanks Alan, I have the same surname as Dave, but I expect the similarities end there! :)

[quote name='dood' post='294003' date='Sep 28 2008, 05:06 PM']Awesome! The build quality actually looks better than some 'off the shelf' cabs I have seen inside! Nice work! Very professional.[/quote]

Thats very kind of you, the carpet hides a multitude of sins, though :)
What is remarkable is that I still have all my fingers left!!