Why become a member? ×

Which strings for my Shuker P bass?

tredders

(Sorry if this is in the wrong section)

I'm looking for some new strings for my Shuker P bass (details in my sig). I generally have TI flats on my P basses, and love them, but for some reason the low tension doesn't work well with the Shuker.

In the past I've tried La Bellas and they were too thick for me (like playing telephone cables!), and also Chromes (which were ok but nothing more).

Basically, I'm looking for flats that are lower tension than rounds, but not as low tension as Ti's.

I've never tried half rounds - maybe they're an option? Any help would be appreciated!

Cheers!

Edited by tredders

Have you considered some nylon tapewounds. I used a set of D'Addario on a Jazz and that worked really well. Also tried a set on a P bass at the recent Moffat Bass Bash and they sounded really good too.

Thanks for the replies. Both the Status Hotwires & the GHS Pressurewounds sound good, so I've ordered both and will compare the two.

Will post my ramblings when they arrive and I've had the chance to play with them both.

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1459088154' post='3013429']
Status hotwire flats have a medium compliance feel, and sound great. Not a bad price either.
[/quote]

Massive thanks for recommending Status Hotwires. I just stuck a set (40-100) in the Shuker P, and they are fabulous! Perfect tension - not too low like TIs, but not as high as some flats I've tried, and they sound great! Really liking them right now!