Why become a member? ×

Another 5-string question...

anzoid

Looking to buy a cheapish 5-string. Just been to try out one of the new Ibanez SR305E and spacing was way too tight for me (oh yeah, and Root Beer Metallic is more like Turd Metallic in the flesh...) In the past I've tried a Peavey Millenium (neck too slim front to back), a Yamaha RBX A5 - quite nice but didn't much like the tone and large body and an Aria 5-string fretless that was... best not mentioned. In the past also had an LTD B-155DX which I sold when I moved country and which is now out of my price range :(

I'm looking at a Cort C5H but have heard that they're pretty similar to Ibanez (same factory?) - so, does anyone know the string spaing on the C5H (and the SR305 so I can compare). If anyone can answer the question as to why manufacturers don't put this somehwere obvious on their webstes, that would be a bonus :D

Edited by anzoid

Well, I only Owned one 5 string bass. Wish I never sold it . Schecter diamond series. 10 a penny in the USA, but not too common here.
Fantastic feel, gold hardware, and good for metal. ;) Not a narrow 5 string . At the time , I went in to sound control , looked around , and bought it within an hour .
My friend mentioned to me about sound control, and I blamed him for spending money . It was a diamond series stiletto elite 5 string

Don't know where you're based(!) But I have an Ibanez RD605 for sale, string spacing is wider than an sr so too wide for me.neck is a bit of a hybrid too, thicker at the nut and thinner at 12th fret. Pm me if you're interested. Im in Northern Lincolnshire btw.

RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE - never looked at Schecter before but have now seen the Schecter Stiletto Stealth-5 and it looks rather tasty. Anything like the one you had?

RJ87 - thanks for the offer on RD605, having looked on Google for what they look like... not bad but I'm not a fan of 4+1 headstocks - prefer a 3+2 configuration if possible. But will keep it in mind.

Woodinblack - hmmm, not thought of those either... got some more research to do it seems :D

I also find the Ibanez sr series too tight, the cort that I tried (A5 I think) had the same spacing as the sr series (16.5mm) I ended up with a Squier VM p5 which is about 18mm and perfect for me (the same as my Letts 5 string)

I think that musicman are 17.5mm (except the sterling sub which i think is 16.5 or even narrower.)

the RBX 765a that I had was 19mm which I loved at the time but can't manage now.

Matt

[quote name='anzoid' timestamp='1459435311' post='3016570']
RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE - never looked at Schecter before but have now seen the Schecter Stiletto Stealth-5 and it looks rather tasty. Anything like the one you had?

RJ87 - thanks for the offer on RD605, having looked on Google for what they look like... not bad but I'm not a fan of 4+1 headstocks - prefer a 3+2 configuration if possible. But will keep it in mind.

Woodinblack - hmmm, not thought of those either... got some more research to do it seems :D
[/quote]

Quite different in colour .The stealth is more death metal than bling ;) the one I had, was gold hardware, and available in cherry black,or Amber .
I would imagine it would do the same job.

Ah well... not quite what was intended but found an MTD Artist 5 string on the Bass Direct website - 35" scale, single MM pickup, maple neck and it has the string spacing I want (19mm like my Radius WAV4). Totally blew the budget but think it will be worth it. NBD to follow :D