Why become a member? ×

Help with westone Thunder a1 fretless

Nord

Hi looking to purchase a 80s fretless westone A1 bass today but just wanted to check to see if anyone had any experience and maybe give me a indication on the current value, as I've seen them all over the place on the net.

Edited by Nord

I'd say between £120-180 depending upon condition. An exceptional one might top £200 but not worth any more.

Nice basses - I reckon they are the best value fretless out there if you like unlined boards.

I've been watching Westone Thunder basses for a while recently. The prices seem to have gone up a bit of late. Paul might be a bit oug of date. If the bass you're looking at is in good condition £250 isn't so very high, especially if it's local and you don't have to pay shipping on top. All these things need to be considered.

Recent completed listings from Ebay. Prices are variable but there is broadly an immense gulf between what some sellers want, and what people are actually prepared to pay:

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=westone%20thunder%20bass&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2045573.m1684"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=p2045573.m1684[/url]

I wouldn't pay much more than £150. Which is pretty much what they've always been.

Jon.

About £150 sounds right to me too.

I have a mint 1984 Thunder III fretted that I love but rarely play. A key reason I keep it is that it wouldn't fetch more than £300 - £350, so I'd only end up hating myself for letting it go.

Westones are a contradiction; they are much higher quality in materials and build than their prices suggest.

[quote name='matski' timestamp='1459248740' post='3014688']
I would go for an active Thunder 2 or 3 if I were you.

I had a fretless Thunder 2A back in the day and it was great, a few years after I sold it I bought a Thunder 1 and it was awful - really cheap and nasty.
[/quote]

The Thunder I cheap and nasty? Compared to the 2 & 3 has a bolt on neck, lighter bridge, and just one pickup, but it's still a great bass and miles better than most of the genuinely cheap and nasty alternatives available at the time.

[quote name='pineweasel' timestamp='1459255671' post='3014785']
The Thunder I cheap and nasty? Compared to the 2 & 3 has a bolt on neck, lighter bridge, and just one pickup, but it's still a great bass and miles better than most of the genuinely cheap and nasty alternatives available at the time.
[/quote]

There were some Korean-made Thunders (a bolt-neck MIK T2 came up on Ebay a few months back) and I'd doubt they were built to the same standard as the Matsumoku originals. Maybe Matski's was one of those.

J.

I recently bought a cheap Westone Jet on Ebay. I actually bought it thinking, "that's too good, I'll sell that for more". I put the low price down to the poor pictures.

It's arrived and stuck here. Instead its a Fender I'm moving on as I prefer the Westone. The feel is pure magic compared to the Fender. Beauty is in the eye of the musician.

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1459258166' post='3014823']
There were some Korean-made Thunders (a bolt-neck MIK T2 came up on Ebay a few months back) and I'd doubt they were built to the same standard as the Matsumoku originals. Maybe Matski's was one of those.

J.
[/quote]

Possibly.... as it was awful.