Why become a member? ×

nut height

ahpook

ok....let's get the "ahems" and "oo-errr missus" out the way first :)

ok...here's the problem. i bought a westone from dangerboy a while back and as ti didn't have a nut, stuck one on without much thought, but now i notice that the intonation is off on the first few frets, and i'm guessing this may be down to the nut being the wrong height.

anyone confirm that this might be the cause ? and how do you work out the correct height for a nut ?

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='291367' date='Sep 24 2008, 11:51 PM']Cut the slots deeper or grind down the bottom of the nut to lower it. If you go too far it will rattle, but you can put a thin bit of plasitc under as a shim.[/quote]

there's a shim in there already, as it was world of buzz when i tried it without...

so a wee bit of trial and error is the best way...?

I use this method:

Starting on the E string, fret on the 3rd - (as if playing a G) then tap on the string over the top of the metal of the 1st fret.

If the nut is about right you should just feel and maybe hear a click indicating a small clearance... If the gap is too big, lower the nut/slot - no clearance raise the
nut/slot.

I've set guitars and basses like this for years now , seems to work well for me :)

[quote name='OldG' post='291425' date='Sep 25 2008, 07:00 AM']I use this method:

Starting on the E string, fret on the 3rd - (as if playing a G) then tap on the string over the top of the metal of the 1st fret.

If the nut is about right you should just feel and maybe hear a click indicating a small clearance... If the gap is too big, lower the nut/slot - no clearance raise the
nut/slot.

I've set guitars and basses like this for years now , seems to work well for me :)[/quote]

+1, i also do this and it works very well, haven't had any problems.