Why become a member? ×

Advice on set-up/checking action after changing strings on a Stingray

AinsleyWalker

For a few years I never bothered to get my bass set-up or check the action when I changed strings, mostly because I didn't know how to or didn't know much about set-ups at all.
I got my Stingray set-up about 3 or 4 months ago and I'm going to change the strings because I need a brighter sound for something and I was wondering if now would be a good time to learn some basics of what to do and what I'd need, should I need to check/adjust anything after I change strings? Any idea? or should I just change the strings

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1458772278' post='3010856']
It's always best to do anything like that when you change strings, especially adjusting the intonation at the bridge.
[/quote]

I know absolutely nothing about how to do any of that, do you have any advice or links?

I haven't, no - but there's bound to be stuff on here or elsewhere that somebody else will bring to your attention soon enough.
It might be worth seeing if there's a forum member local to you that could take you through the process & show you what to do.

Edited by RhysP

I own a fair amount of EBMM basses. Don't touch the saddle height etc at first.

The are the easiest bass to adjust the truss rod on. There are specific Musicman assistance videos, and a diagram which shows you which way the truss rod wheel needs to go.

The only ever time I've needed a pre-gig / post-gig adjustment was when my Ray 4 was in and out of a cold van to a warm venue. The strings slowly went quite low, so the action was comfortable but not the way I like it, (basically a little too much fret buzz).

All it needed was a VERY minor truss rod wheel adjustment....took seconds and worked a charm.

They are probably the easiest bass to setup, just take your time.

The reason I mention truss rod first is because if the saddles are at normal height (see their website) it's best to leave them be until a small truss rod adjustment is made.