Why become a member? ×

Bigger Electric BLue ?

fleabag

Recently played through someone else's amp as i couldnt be bothered to take my own rig, and was really surprised at the tone.

It was one of the Electric Blue combos .. a 180, so it said. 180 watt ??

Have no idea about wattage, or drivers ( size and how many ) but simply thought what a wonderful tone. Thing is, if i were playing with the rest of our over driven over loud band with 2 gittards, i'd get swallowed up

Do Ashdown make an exact copy of this little combo, in a bigger package ? I'm also assuming, rightly or wrongly, that this little combo was old-ish, just because of the way it looked.. great big knobs, on/off switch on the back, .. just looked like it had been built way back

Looks like the electric blue is discontinued, but not all that old - they're still selling some stuff with similar retro styling... not sure how they'd compare sound wise though

http://ashdownmusic.com/products/1/Bass-Amplification/

Cheers stoo

Had a looksee at the link, and there's nothing comparable on there that i can see. I even checked the ' discontinued ' option on the site, and the only Electric Blue stuff was just one head , and 2 combos that were called 220 EB Elite. They didn't have any Electric Blue combos in the discontinued section that related to the combo i played through

Bit strange that

the electric blue stuff was a bargin version of the Mag series i believe which was the bargin version of the ABM range.
have a look at the current AAA range and the Rootmaster range. I have the Rootmaster RM 800 and the Ashdown tone is definately there, the Rootmaster is the update of the Mag series (i think) but some stores also still have the older Mag products in stock

Edited by lowhand_mike

no problem but i would still recommend you get out and try some to make sure the tone is still what you were after and dont look just at combos, look at the seperate heads and cabs too, the new rootmaster range looks really good and from what i've heard the cabs are pretty light and the heads are pretty small and light too. really depends on your budget

had a quick look in Ashdowns legacy stuff and found this head[url="http://ashdownmusic.com/products/1/Bass-Amplification/18/Legacy/93/EB-180-Head/"] http://ashdownmusic.com/products/1/Bass-Amplification/18/Legacy/93/EB-180-Head/[/url] which would probably have been the same as the amp in the combo you tried. The spec is very similar to the Mag Evo range except you didnt get the classic VU meter, compressor and lowerpower rating and cheaper cabinet build.

Edited by lowhand_mike

I guess i was just being greedy Mike

I already have 2 complete rigs and an Ampeg BA600 1x15 combo. I was simply taken aback when i just plugged straight into this little combo ( not a pedal in sight ) and was wowed by the tone.

The only thought i have as that many companies dont follow the philosophy "if it aint broke, don't fix it " so i'm already assuming they would have changed many things from the original

haha ok, imho the tone is still the same as the first Mag 2x10 combo that i owned and the rootmaster that i have (which is digital) still sounds as smooth and warm as the older versions, i think ashdown have their tone and they improve the spec of their equipment (i'm not an ashdown fanboy btw :rolleyes: ) i just like the way it sounds

[quote name='fleabag' timestamp='1458687319' post='3009970']
Despite falling in lurve with the 180, its not going to cut it volume wise with our band
[/quote]

I used mine as an on stage monitor at a gig a couple of weeks ago, and DI'd the output through the PA. Worked well.

• Like 1

[quote name='fleabag' timestamp='1458687319' post='3009970']
Despite falling in lurve with the 180, its not going to cut it volume wise with our band
[/quote]

Di is an option as i did that at a gig in febuary when my Mag 300 had a hissy fit and went all quiet on me but still gave a signal to FOH,
but you'd be better off looking into the MAG series stuff which is still hanging around in some places and perfectly giggable