Why become a member? ×

Bigger Electric BLue ?

fleabag

[quote name='fleabag' timestamp='1458739804' post='3010354']
The one thing i noticed about the EB was it had a fair old output for its size. I'm wondering if Ashdown's figures for amp volume are conservative ?
[/quote]
the ones ive owned have put out plenty of volume even when 'only' running at 8ohms. the mag 300 i had which would have been putting out at most 200watts at 8ohms but was plenty loud enough to gig with 2 guitarists and loud drummer. but i cant say for sure about how conservative they are/arent

[quote name='Sparky Mark' timestamp='1458730236' post='3010196']
You are probably only getting around 120 watts out of the combo without an extension cab. I found adding another cab made it giggable (twice as loud to my ears).
[/quote]

Adding another cab sounds good sparky, but thats a big stack for a mere 180 watt output

[quote name='lowhand_mike' timestamp='1458741115' post='3010382']
the ones ive owned have put out plenty of volume even when 'only' running at 8ohms. the mag 300 i had which would have been putting out at most 200watts at 8ohms but was plenty loud enough to gig with 2 guitarists and loud drummer. but i cant say for sure about how conservative they are/arent
[/quote]

Hey Mike, i dont know how loud your guitarists are but ours are painfully loud, along with the drummer. :)

[quote name='fleabag' timestamp='1458741607' post='3010398']
Hey Mike, i dont know how loud your guitarists are but ours are painfully loud, along with the drummer. :)
[/quote]
the loudest i had to crank my MAG300 was about 2 o'clock as we were playing outside but it still had power to spare. The RM800 is a different beast, bodaciously loud and a bit more girth (resisting using the 'h' word) ;)

I used to have an Electric Blue - the 1x12" version. Nice tone, but it just didn't have enough volume for me. An extension cab would have been an option, but to be honest I was already starting to think about a lightweight rig. The EB weighed about 26kg, I believe, with only a single handle on top, and I was starting to get annoyed with how cumbersome it was to carry over more than a few metres. I am not a strong man, as you can probably tell.

S.P.

[quote name='fleabag' timestamp='1458741517' post='3010394']

Volume has a lot more to do with the number of speakers than the power of the amp. I reckon 2 x 12 inch speakers driven by 180 watts will be louder than 1 x 12 driven by 250 to 300 watts.

Adding another cab sounds good sparky, but thats a big stack for a mere 180 watt output
[/quote]

[quote name='lowhand_mike' timestamp='1458746362' post='3010469']
the mag combo i had was pretty weighty, should have mentioned that but then my mag 4x10 is no featherweight either. rootmaster would be the option, think i already said that :blink:
[/quote]

Yup, quite right. I already have a lightweight separates rig, but a lightweight combo would be nice to have for easy transport. The RM combo seems to fit the bill