Why become a member? ×

Gibson EB3 strap button

Bassmonkey

Hi - I was only on here last week crowing about the new 1973 EB3 I had just purchased.

I immediately sent it off to a guitar tech pal who set it up and it now plays as good as it looks.

The only gripe I have is the rear strap button. On the back by the neck. This means that, my middle aged man body tips the bass away from me. Plus had to swap a strap lock around on the strap to fit properly without twisting the strap.

Although loathe to mess with it, I am seriously considering moving the button to allow the bass to sit better.

Has anyone done this? after a bit of googling, I have seen them fixed to the underside of the upper horn.

This seems like it would fix the issue.

What do you think? should I leave well alone and persevere until I get used to it or go for the move?

Decisions, decisions.....

Thx
Andy

Many years ago I had a John Birch EB3 bass (serious neck diver). This had the strap button on the upper horn, back inside chamfer. did not help the neck dive. Current SG bass has the neck heel location and does exactly what yours does, same issues using strap lock as well. With my 'older' man profile I quite like the way it tilts the bass away from me. It places less twist (hence carpal stress) on left hand wrist. This is not much help really :mellow: