Why become a member? ×

Basswood.. should i be scared? Cv60s bridge question too

thebuckets

Forget all the negative hype bullsh*te. BassWood is a great wood for bass bodies. a lot of the reason they paint it over on Fender MIJ/CIJ, is because it doasnt have the grain of Ash. It still has the tone. Music Man Bongo's are proof of that.

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1458261272' post='3006185']
Forget all the negative hype bullsh*te. BassWood is a great wood for bass bodies. a lot of the reason they paint it over on Fender MIJ/CIJ, is because it doasnt have the grain of Ash. It still has the tone. Music Man Bongo's are proof of that.
[/quote]

My Bongo is quite a heavy beast as well - I know some are quite light but as mine is basswood it sort of blows the light weight theory also - at least as a given with basswood - it also has no dings whatsoever (2008 model).

I suspect they used basswood partially because of neutral affect on tone but also the ease of cutting the curvy edges of the Bongo......... although that is also contradicted by more recent limited versions using alder or mahogany (with trans finishes showing wood grain).

I wouldn't worry in the slightest about basswood on an instrument having experienced ownership of the Bongo.

Edited by drTStingray

[quote name='thebuckets' timestamp='1458072248' post='3004473']
Thinking of picking a squier p bass (cv60s) great reviews but im put off by the bodywood. Bongos are basswood so it cant all be like cream cheese. Have i anything to fear?

Also can you fit a std bbot bridge to the 5 hole fixing on the cv60s bass
Ta muchly
[/quote]

Nothing to fear at all, and yes you can fit a standard bbot bridge. I did that using the threaded Fender saddles so that I could adjust the string spacing... the holes may not all align though, I don't remember... but I installed it ok all the same.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1458148714' post='3005132']
Both my CV bridges are 20mm spacing, that was my reason for changing them as i prefer 19mm.
If i can still find a bridge at home ill take some measurements.
[/quote]

you could buy a set of threaded saddles and just replace the saddles. Then you can adjust the spacing the way you like it.