Why become a member? ×

Squier CV vs. VM

LewisK1975

Apologies if this has been covered, but does anyone know what are the differences for the above?

I know the VM's are cheaper, but they seem to be going after a similar theme...

Lot of love for the CV's, doesn't seem to be so much for the VM's?

Opinions / thoughts / Facts most welcome!

Edited by LewisK1975

The cv range is above the vm range there also made on the same line/factory as the fender modern player range. Or at least they were.
Infact some would say they were better than the modern player range.

The vm range are good for the money and are decent instruments but I found the hardware, overall finish and initial setup to be poor compared to the cv range. Also I once had a vm mustang that had qc issues on arrival.

I like both the vm and cv instruments as said the cv range is a step up.

Just what twincam said really, both nice CV a bit nicer. I had a CV tele with fender pickups and it was really amazing, it was so good my guitarist basically stole it and left money in its place.

Edited by EmmettC

I've owned a vm precision and currently own a vm jazz. Both are/were awesome. Good solid build quality, comfortable to play and sounded great. In fact my guitarist still maintains my vm jazz sounds better than a Yamaha TRB 5-II I used to play!

I would love to give the cv jazzes a go to compare!

My lightweight VM PJ is a pretty good guitar and I own a vintage P as well but its the PJ I take to gigs.
Recording is bridge PU only...not great on my PC but sounds crisper in reality.

https://soundcloud.com/user-180920771/squire-vm-pj-1

I've got both a CV and a VM bass. The VM series are great value for the money, and each one I've tried has been a good bass
As you say, the VM's are made in Indonesia. And as others have said, they're not always set up the best when new.

The CV's are made in China, and in a different factory to the now improved Affinity series (which are far better than they were)
The Matt Freeman bass (x2 colour options) are also made in the same factory as the CV's
My CV is definitely a tad heavier than my VM. And the quality of wiring, pickups and fittings is also better

Although I converted my VM to a fretless, I used to gig it before I did that, and it definitely held its' own
Gig with them, use them as backup, or take them to dodgy gigs instead of your expensive Fender
I like the VM's a lot - but I love my CV P bass.... it's just that bit better than a VM
..... and not far off as good as my US P bass IMO

Edited by Marc S