Why become a member? ×

Bass Player Art

AndyTravis

Is there a market for it?

I have a big Jaco poster above my workbench and said to a guy who's bass I was setting up that I planned to do it as a painting one day.

He's since commissioned me to do a 4ftx2ft painting of Jamerson.

And while buying the stuff to do his painting, I bought all the stuff to do mine.

I have painted for years, done stuff for the kids rooms and did A Level art (still debating doing a degree) but never really felt like doing it as a job.

But I've enjoyed starting the process today.

Just wondered if anyone else painted, or if anyone ever fancied a painting of a bass hero on their music room wall?

Probably not worth quitting the day job, but I imagine it could be quite a lucrative sideline, especially if you don't just limit your commissions to depictions of bassplayers.

If you enjoy doing it, it sounds like a potential win/win in terms of getting paid for your hobby.

I was in York a few years ago and there was an artist on the market who seemed to be doing very nicely selling originals and prints of her own work. I bought a small print of Lemmy, (crappy phone pic)

I recently was loaned an oil painting that I did of Bowie in 1979 for my art A-level, which I then sold. I'm seriously considering taking it up again, though I don't think it would ever get a worthwhile income alone. I suppose it depends - as in playing - what market you find and getting a lucky break.

Edited by Big_Stu

I admire all of you on this thread.
I haven't got the talent unfortunately .
One thing at the back of my mind , was to learn how to draw/ paint. Then the idea , was to make my own t shirts. Screenprinted of course;)

On a slight tangent ; one of my favourite ever t shirts I bought years ago , was a cartoony animal band. They were a punk band having beer glasses chucked at them . Etc.
Would reproduce a similar one if I had your talents ;)

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1457262320' post='2996749']
I did a great pencil drawing of Steve Howe years ago (like 30). Don't know what happened to it.
[/quote]
Shame! And that was in the "good old days" before having a home scanner was easily possible. Didn't you even take photos of it?

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1457264129' post='2996782']
[url="https://instagram.com/p/BCnCt77uQUB/"]https://instagram.com/p/BCnCt77uQUB/[/url]

So I started the Jamerson
[/quote]
Looking good so far - also looks like it's going to be about life-size??