Why become a member? ×

What do you do when you've found The One?

Skinnyman

In my case after finding "the one" I did the following:

1, add a hipshot x tender on the low E

2, swap the flimsy BBOT bridge for a babicz

3, Rehearse, gig and record with it for 12 months

4, buy it's identical twin and replace all hardware with black variants (including x tender and babicz bridge)

5, be perfectly happy with two identical sounding, lovely playing, slightly different looking basses.

Haven't had (bass) GAS for over 12 months now and the two basses, including mods, cost me appoximately £350. That's total, not each!

Have had the one for 20 years now, it's a crappy Sunn Mustang P-bass copy that I have never bettered.
I've also got the other two, Rickenbastard that I sank a lot of money into making right, and does noises that the P can't (and it's got rounds on it) and my hideous lump of driftwood fretless which I will never part with.

So yeah, I've found the three...

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1457579518' post='2999852']
Wow that is gorgeous. Did someone get him to make it that colour or was it re-sprayed - I ask because I started gassing for one these recently when I saw pics of a refinished one in pink on Talkbass, also with LEDs. The red is v nice, but he doesn't advertise them in colours on his website.
[/quote]

Thank you! John built my series 2 in 1986, and he said a few years' ago that the colour is 'volkswagen red' or 'Volcano red'. If you need a specific colour, I'm sure he'll accomodate. He can also incorporate ultra-bright LED's. There have been one or two design changes over the year's, and I believe all of his newly built basses come with graphite truss rods and upgraded pick up's.

He doesn't do big production run's any more - so everything he builds is built to order. I just checked, and the waiting time is around 16-months..................... a shame, because I would have ordered a replica of my 1st Jaydee ('Roadie 2A' Bass - in tobacco sunburst), which I sold to buy the Series 2 !!!