Why become a member? ×

Gibson - NR Thunderbirds

Tee

Why, why, why are Gibson so lazy in recent years. It's like there's a blind/deaf designer throwing together random spec without any thought for the guitars. If its not badly matched or cheap pickups, it's prosthetic limb coloured plastics, or trapezoid inlays everywhere.
Why have all the Thunderbirds in recent years come with black hardware, (black) bland modern pickups and the input jack and tone knob switched around. I guess it's Gibson trying to be 'modern. Yet i get the feeling a player after a 'modern' bass would look elsewhere. It's effectively an attempt, a nod at least, at a 60s bass, so why not do it a bit better.
I'm sure there are others out there who have looked at this bass and thought 'almost'. Chrome (more vintage voiced) pickups and hardware please Gibson and a one pickup version would be very much appreciated, if you want to keep the bean counters happy. I know it won't happen though. There seems to be a decent choice in Japan for NR T-birds copies, but they look hard to acquire.

Gibson are lazy because they can be. As long as people keep buying Les Paul and SG guitars, bassists can get to the back of the queue. It's not a recent phenomenon ;)

I like my modern NR Thunderbird, FWIW, and I like the look of it better than the old ones. There's something clunky and awkward about the old ones that I just don't like. Each to their own, I guess.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1457106585' post='2995443']
Gibson are lazy because they can be. As long as people keep buying Les Paul and SG guitars, bassists can get to the back of the queue. It's not a recent phenomenon ;)
[/quote]

I know. I was including guitars in my original post too (of which the 2015 range was mare for them, including SGs and LPs). They've really thrown together some abominations without much thought. Or they've added quality in one spec/place and taken away elsewhere, which just leaves you rolling your eyeballs. They're simply not creative enough to release new models every year.

Edited by Tee

[quote name='Tee' timestamp='1457106979' post='2995449']
I know. I was including guitars in my original post too (of which the 2015 range was mare for them, including SGs and LPs). They've really thrown together some abominations without much thought. Or they've added quality in one spec/place and taken away elsewhere, which just leaves you rolling your eyeballs. They're simply not creative enough to release new models every year.
[/quote]

I don't think it's a question of creativity - there's way more variety in the back catalogue than many manufacturers. I really think they're a huffy bunch who occasionally get an idea but if it doesn't become a best seller in a couple of years it gets tossed. Right now they're back in the cave, licking the wounds caused by the commercial failure of the (2013-14) EB bass and the mauling they got from deviating too far from the programme with their 2015 guitar stuff.

If anyone is interested in my input (I've owned a few Thunderbirds), certainly I'd like to see more colour choice. A few years back they did a limited run of deep blue (not Pelham) for the Japanese marketplace, so it is feasible for the paint shop guys to use a different colour.

At the end of the day, if you want a decent Thunderbird built from a myriad of choice parts and finishes, just buy a Lull.

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1457119810' post='2995641']
If anyone is interested in my input (I've owned a few Thunderbirds), certainly I'd like to see more colour choice. A few years back they did a limited run of deep blue (not Pelham) for the Japanese marketplace, so it is feasible for the paint shop guys to use a different colour.

At the end of the day, if you want a decent Thunderbird built from a myriad of choice parts and finishes, just buy a Lull.
[/quote]

They look good, but he seems to only have the 2 pickup option. I'm guessing they're quite pricey too? Although cheaper than an original :happy:

[quote name='Tee' timestamp='1457121345' post='2995673']

They look good, but he seems to only have the 2 pickup option. I'm guessing they're quite pricey too? Although cheaper than an original :happy:
[/quote]

I've seen single pickup Lulls over on Talkbass, and the Tom Petersson sig has two pickups right up by the neck, so I'm sure it can be done.
Very expensive though.