Why become a member? ×

Linking iPhone to bass

Srwu

Hi

I've downloaded the Djay 2 app to my iPhone 5. This lets me stream any track from Spotify and then slow down and loop to practice along to. Next step is to link my bass to the iPhone. I know from another discussion on here that I can blend the output from the phone with the bass using a separate mixer and then connect headphones to that.

I'm wondering though whether a line6 pod might be a more elegant approach. From what I can see I could plug this directly to the iPhone and then plug the bass into the line6 so the mixing would be done on the phone. However I can't see from the info online whether the line6 would work with the Djay2 app or only works with the dedicated line6 apps. Does anyone have experience of the line6 pod? Can it be used independently of the line6 apps or does it only work with them?

I'd be grateful for your advice.

Thanks

Get a Line6 Sonic Port, iRig or similar. This acts as an audio interface for your iPhone, you plug your bass and headphones into this little brick that links to your phone. You can run all kinds of amp simulators and effects in parallel with your music player apps - the Line6 software is free to use with the Sonic Port too. If at least one of the apps supports background play then you can listen to two apps at once; most of the amp sims do, so you can set your tone up then switch apps to the music player. There's also an app called Audiobus where you can load apps into slots and create multiple signal chains.

GarageBand is free and comes with some great Ampeg amp sims now,can think they sound even better than the paid options!

The standard iRig would do the job just fine, especially just for practice, but the Sonic Port has a few advantages:

- Line6 apps thrown in
- Higher quality conversion using dedicated hardware instead of repurposing the iPhone mic input
- More ins and outs, e.g a 1/4" out jack so you can plug into an amp

• 3 weeks later...