Why become a member? ×

V7 niggles

SICbass

Hi there,

I love my sire V7, but have had one or two problems recently.
I wanted to have a hip-shot D-tuner fitted. This proved a little difficult because
a.) there are essentially 3 sizes of hipshots (screw-positioning, diameter of posts etc.) according to what bass you want them fitted on and the V7 doesn't actually match any of them exactly. My guitar doc had to sort of cheat a bit. Not an insurmountable problem, but a pain nonetheless. And,
b.) the German distributors, I think it's Warwick, insisted on my guitar bloke buying all three and then going through the returns process of two of them, rather than sending him all three and just billing him for one and allowing him to return the other two. He's [i]the[/i] guitar bloke in Berlin and has a reputation, so he's hardly likely to cheat, but hey-ho.

Now I'm off on tour, the volume/tone pot got loose and I can't tighten the nut because the thread is bared. I've no idea how this happened. I just opened the case and there it was. When I took the control plate off to have a look at it, I discovered there were already three washers underneath, which could imply that they already had a problem with the thread in the factory and shoved the washers in to alleviate that. I called Thomann and they're hopefully sending me a replacement pot. In my conversation with the guy, he said that Thomann don't really stock spares. They just get finished instruments from Sire and would probably have to take the parts off of one of the basses they have in stock. A bit impractical, I think.

I've jerry rigged it with gaffer tape for now so that the nut can bite into [i]something[/i] and it will hold. Has anyone had a look inside their V7 and are the pots fairly standard issue stuff or are they, like the dimensions of the tuners, a bit non-standard?

The delivery has arrived today, and they've sent me a complete new electronic, including the control plate.

Big up for Thomann!

@dave_bass5 thank you so much for the picture. Maybe the washers are just added to keep all the pots at a nice even height?

[quote name='SICbass' timestamp='1456939919' post='2993831']
The delivery has arrived today, and they've sent me a complete new electronic, including the control plate.

Big up for Thomann!

@dave_bass5 thank you so much for the picture. Maybe the washers are just added to keep all the pots at a nice even height?
[/quote]
Blimey, well done Thomann. Now that is what I call service.
Cheers
Geoff

[quote name='SICbass' timestamp='1456918553' post='2993466']
Hi there,

I love my sire V7, but have had one or two problems recently.
I wanted to have a hip-shot D-tuner fitted. This proved a little difficult because
a.) there are essentially 3 sizes of hipshots (screw-positioning, diameter of posts etc.) according to what bass you want them fitted on and the V7 doesn't actually match any of them exactly. My guitar doc had to sort of cheat a bit. Not an insurmountable problem, but a pain nonetheless. And,
b.) the German distributors, I think it's Warwick, insisted on my guitar bloke buying all three and then going through the returns process of two of them, rather than sending him all three and just billing him for one and allowing him to return the other two. He's [i]the[/i] guitar bloke in Berlin and has a reputation, so he's hardly likely to cheat, but hey-ho.

Now I'm off on tour, the volume/tone pot got loose and I can't tighten the nut because the thread is bared. I've no idea how this happened. I just opened the case and there it was. When I took the control plate off to have a look at it, I discovered there were already three washers underneath, which could imply that they already had a problem with the thread in the factory and shoved the washers in to alleviate that. I called Thomann and they're hopefully sending me a replacement pot. In my conversation with the guy, he said that Thomann don't really stock spares. They just get finished instruments from Sire and would probably have to take the parts off of one of the basses they have in stock. A bit impractical, I think.

I've jerry rigged it with gaffer tape for now so that the nut can bite into [i]something[/i] and it will hold. Has anyone had a look inside their V7 and are the pots fairly standard issue stuff or are they, like the dimensions of the tuners, a bit non-standard?
[/quote]

the washers are just for aesthetic reasons: if there is too much of the shaft on the other side, there will be a gap between the bottom of the knob and the control plate that can look bad if it's too bit. Adding a washer or two reduces the effective length of the shaft and the end result looks better.
Of course, there must be a minimum amount of thread above the control plate, that's the only limitation.