Why become a member? ×

12 Y/O starter

jimbartlett

[quote name='pmjos' timestamp='1456679666' post='2991332']
My advise is don't buy him a starter bass. Buy your son a good quality instrument that sounds the dogs and if it costs a bit more he will pay you back a thousand fold when he spends hours doing something educational and useful with his time rather than playing a video game with a starter bass standing in the corner. Seriously, when I was a kid my family was skint. My uncle bought me and my two brothers a guitar each and two of us play to this day 35 years later because he gave us a good instrument. If its good enough for your to play its good enough for him. Wish you all the best starting your son out, invest in his potential.
[/quote]

Thank you. In my mind I keep thinking that a good instrument is nicer and easier to play. You've just put it into better words and a nice story too!

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1456767068' post='2992048']
Ibanez SR all the way. Light as a feather, full-scale but skinny neck ideal for growing hands, properly well made with decent hardware, electronics & pups - easily good enough that there's no need to upgrade if he really gets into it. And they look cool.

Pretty cheap used, you can pick up a nearly new SR300 for a little over a ton, or an older higher-range model for about the same. I recently got a rough but perfectly playable SR500 for £87.

Jon.
[/quote]

I've never had an SR but always liked the look of them. I'll have to see if I can have a go on one!

On the other hand, if you buy him an "expensive bass", and it turns out to be a bit of a "flash in the pan", it could be a bit of a waste of money.

You could always play the "do well with the cheap one, and we'll look at getting a better one for next birthday/Christmas etc". And let him watch you doing the setup on it, letting him have a shot on it as you go through the process.

My first bass was a Kay P style, with an action you could limbo under! :lol:

[quote name='Luulox' timestamp='1456242425' post='2986954']
The old japanese bass collection basses are nice and light and will do him for years. They are not a lot of money secondhand either.
[/quote]

Plus, if he decides eventually that it's not for him, you won't lose any cash on one of these fellas.

A

[quote name='Skybone' timestamp='1456840457' post='2992753']
My first bass was a Kay P style, with an action you could limbo under! :lol:
[/quote]
Mine was a POS Fender(ish) alike with a ply body and an action you could walk under wearing a top hat!!

[quote name='Skybone' timestamp='1456840457' post='2992753']
On the other hand, if you buy him an "expensive bass", and it turns out to be a bit of a "flash in the pan", it could be a bit of a waste of money.

You could always play the "do well with the cheap one, and we'll look at getting a better one for next birthday/Christmas etc". And let him watch you doing the setup on it, letting him have a shot on it as you go through the process.
[/quote]

As a teacher I see this all the time. Nowadays you can actually get a vey decent instrument for relatively little money (Harley Benton, Sire, Squier, Ibanez etc). A £75 Harley Benton and a £25 setup is a pretty damn good starter instrument.

[quote name='jimbartlett' timestamp='1456839179' post='2992732']

Thank you. In my mind I keep thinking that a good instrument is nicer and easier to play. You've just put it into better words and a nice story too!

I've never had an SR but always liked the look of them. I'll have to see if I can have a go on one!
[/quote]
Get a nice, clean used one and if he doesn't take to it, you can sell for the same price tickets bought it for.