Why become a member? ×

P Bass neck what to buy?

Mooseman

I'm thinking of starting my own project P bass and I'm currently in the process of sourcing/researching.

I'm new to the whole "make your own bass" thing but I've got a friend who made his own strat which came out awesome.

I'm looking to go for 62 vibe/Pino customshop in nitro Olympic white.

Read a lot about Mighty Mite necks good and bad and saw that bluebass320 on eBay gets them in stock for reasonable prices from time to time. I also asked axesrus about MM Bass necks but said it wasn't cost effective to get them in which is totally understandable but then he suggested a brand called Hosco?

Anyone had any experience with them? It's hard to find stuff on the uk but they are made in Japan, apparently in the same place as the allparts necks are made.

There is a place in Sweden that sells for around £112.
I like how the trussrod adjustment is at the heel on the HNK-32, because I wanna do a matching headstock
Any info would good as I really wanna get a good neck

I got an Allparts neck (one piece maple) for a 51 style Pbass recently. I'm very pleased with the quality, has correct construction (walnut stripe, square heel, cross head truss rod in the right place) and fretting is great - no levelling needed. I also got a good discount, so its always worth calling for advice and having a chat.

I've also had good quality necks from WD music in the past. Brandoni are worth a call - they may have good NOS fender style necks, but can't display them due to Fender licensing issues.

Generally you can expect to do some minor work on the tuner holes to get a good fit, and maybe some slight fret levelling. But fitting the nut well makes the biggest difference to overall playability.

The hard bit is the nitro finish - I'd get the body and headstock face sprayed professionally and oil the back of the neck. Most of the replacement bodies are polyester and you can tell the difference, however well done.