Why become a member? ×

I want to have my cake and eat it too (compressors)

Guinness21

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1455704811' post='2981554']
I guess it depends on what sort of colour you want?
[/quote]
Greenish pink.

Edit (thought id actually add to the conversation): I love my markbass compressore. It runs 9v with a gigrig supanova adapter and sounds lovely. like a rackmounted tube compressor in a pedal.

Edited by elephantgrey

[quote name='elephantgrey' timestamp='1455705171' post='2981562']
Greenish pink.

Edit (thought id actually add to the conversation): I love my markbass compressore. It runs 9v with a gigrig supanova adapter and sounds lovely. like a rackmounted tube compressor in a pedal.
[/quote]

That's not a bad point actually - the pedaltrain volto has 2 outputs, so I can daisy chain some pedals from one then use an adaptor on the other. If I could run 12v I'd possibly go with the Effectrode PC-2A. I wonder if the volto plays ok with adaptors?

[quote name='Guinness21' timestamp='1455706325' post='2981587']
That's not a bad point actually - the pedaltrain volto has 2 outputs, so I can daisy chain some pedals from one then use an adaptor on the other. If I could run 12v I'd possibly go with the Effectrode PC-2A. I wonder if the volto plays ok with adaptors?
[/quote]

I don't see why they wouldn't, unless you run out of amperage. I have thought of getting a volto for my rig as a backup, but would probably need to run atleast 2 in parallel to meat my draw needs, and that's a bit expensive for a backup.

[quote name='elephantgrey' timestamp='1455707452' post='2981605']
I don't see why they wouldn't, unless you run out of amperage. I have thought of getting a volto for my rig as a backup, but would probably need to run atleast 2 in parallel to meat my draw needs, and that's a bit expensive for a backup.
[/quote]

While I've been given one for free it makes sense to try and use it, save forking out for a more versatile power supply. Might email pedaltrain to double check if it's ok with adaptors.

[quote name='Guinness21' timestamp='1455707608' post='2981607']
While I've been given one for free it makes sense to try and use it, save forking out for a more versatile power supply. Might email pedaltrain to double check if it's ok with adaptors.
[/quote]

Don't get me wrong, i don't mean its expensive for what it is, I just meant that after me buying a whole gigrig power setup (a generator, a distributor, 3 isolators and 2 adapters so far), spending that much more on batteries for my board just incase is a bit extravagant.

I emailed about Pedaltrain about using a gigrig/ equivalent adaptor with the volto, and they weren't at all confident. So maybe I stick to 9v alternatives.

I'm thinking of starting a thread on Talkbass just because there are more people who have had a wider exposure to pedals, so some may have tried pedals I've listed here.

the Effectrode is superb and super fat sounding.... But you won't have the level of control your asking for in your original thread. I had a similar experience with the diamond.

The Cali 76b in my opinion does it all well enough and you're able to power it off of a 9v supply in a sensible pedal form.

Don't rule out the markbass compressore either but again you'll need to think about power. I used to power mine off a T Rex power supply with my 9v pedals with no problem.

[quote name='ryancowell25' timestamp='1455817276' post='2982735']
the Effectrode is superb and super fat sounding.... But you won't have the level of control your asking for in your original thread. I had a similar experience with the diamond.

The Cali 76b in my opinion does it all well enough and you're able to power it off of a 9v supply in a sensible pedal form.

Don't rule out the markbass compressore either but again you'll need to think about power. I used to power mine off a T Rex power supply with my 9v pedals with no problem.
[/quote]

Thanks this is really helpful. So you think the Markbass is closer to what I'm looking for than the Effectrode? I emailed Pedaltrain asking if I could use a gigrig adaptor with a volto ok, and they sad they wouldn't but contact gigrig and see what they say. So I still need to find out if I could power a 12v pedal with it.

You're not the first to recommend the cali76 cb. The ovnilab review confused me as it made it out to be a transparent and bright compressor, is it capable of that tonal magic?

I recently got the Keeley Bassist compressor. It works really well as a limiter and as a transparent 'always on' compressor. You can also turn the compressor setting to zero and use the pedal as a clean boost via the level control. It also has a small footprint and is easy to use. No complaints so far anyway.

[quote name='thodrik' timestamp='1455823815' post='2982784']
I recently got the Keeley Bassist compressor. It works really well as a limiter and as a transparent 'always on' compressor. You can also turn the compressor setting to zero and use the pedal as a clean boost via the level control. It also has a small footprint and is easy to use. No complaints so far anyway.
[/quote]

Thanks for the suggestion but I'm not really looking for a transparent compressor.

Is the Demeter transparent, or does it have some tone to it?

[quote name='paulie' timestamp='1455897466' post='2983454']
Try the EBS
It alters the tone a little but in tube mode it sounds great.
Compression is subtle but effective
[/quote]

I've heard good things about the EBS, on the ovnilab review it says they deteriorate over time though. I've you found that?

I'm waiting to hear back as to whether those adaptors would work of with the pedaltrain volto. Until I've heard back, I'm reluctant to go near stuff that isn't 9v. I definitely like the Diamond's tone but it's not a versatile compressor and can't be used as a peak limiter, and I like the Markbass' sound but its a really big pedal, which on my PT mini won't leave room for much else.

Revised contenders are:
- Darkglass Supersymmetry
- EBS Multicomp
- Cali76 Compact Bass
- Ovnifx Smoothie

- The Darkglass' sound seems to be what I'm after, but multiple people have said its compression is fairly subtle - not sure that's particularly versatile.
- The EBS, especially on the tubesim setting, sounds like it fits the bill for me. Numerous reviews I've read though me a bit worried about the quality of them. The footswitch apparently isn't true bypass and there's been a lot said about these not playing well with high-output basses.
- I'm increasingly thinking the Cali76 cb is great, but it's a lot of money! Considerably more than everything else I'm looking at.
- The Ovnifx definitely gets high praise, sounds like it would suit me. Ovnifx are redesigning the circuit around an optical device instead of an OTA chip, so the new ones may be unproven.

Edited by Guinness21

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...