Why become a member? ×

Clean my Warwick neck, frets & fretboard?

Vasquez Rich

Have a nice Warwick (that's it over there on the left if my picture loads OK that is...).. the neck/fretboard and frets need a good clean as they are cacked up with... I suppose it was bits of my left hand.. anyway, it needs a clean, problem is it's unlaquered, open grain Wenge... anyone advise on cleaning techniques.. will probably end up taking it into the local shop I reckon.

Richard

If it's really cacked up just scrape the cack off with a stanley blade/razorblade (careful with those digits) or for the safe option use a piece of plastic like an old credit card etc. then a few drops of lemon oil on a soft cloth, wipe on then give it a thorough polish/rub.

If your frets are actually dulled/green, then clean the board as above and mask off the board between the frets. Mask up as close as you can to the fret (you can literally get the tape tensioned and in tight), then get a green plastic scourer, squirt a smidgen of WD40 on the cloth and wipe it backwards and forwards along the fret to polish it. You'd really struggle to do any damage as the frets are rock hard and the muck polishes off pretty quick. Give it a good wipe and polish with a soft cloth and whip off the masking tape and one further wipe with lemon oil. If it needs a fret dress that's a different matter!

Before

During

After

Yes, really cacked up!.. played it last night in good light (new rehearsal room with big windows) and really noticed it. Just shows that I never really get to see it out of it's case in anything other than inside rooms/pubs/venues. The frets don't need dressing I reckon, although it has been in regular use for the last 14 years.

Thanks for the advice. Will try it on a fret or two, but I'll probably end up taking it into the shop as although I'm sure I can do the job, I'm not sure I have that amount of patience... and I don't want to make a mess of my baby.

Richard

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='29908' date='Jul 10 2007, 06:39 PM']If it's really cacked up just scrape the cack off with a stanley blade/razorblade (careful with those digits) or for the safe option use a piece of plastic like an old credit card etc. then a few drops of lemon oil on a soft cloth, wipe on then give it a thorough polish/rub.

If your frets are actually dulled/green, then clean the board as above and mask off the board between the frets. Mask up as close as you can to the fret (you can literally get the tape tensioned and in tight), then get a green plastic scourer, squirt a smidgen of WD40 on the cloth and wipe it backwards and forwards along the fret to polish it. You'd really struggle to do any damage as the frets are rock hard and the muck polishes off pretty quick. Give it a good wipe and polish with a soft cloth and whip off the masking tape and one further wipe with lemon oil. If it needs a fret dress that's a different matter!

Before

During

After
[/quote]

If you do the razorblade thing. Tape one edge of the blade with loads of masking tape first; makes it a little safer and go lightly. You don't want to end up with a scalloped board a la yngwie malmsteen!

I also would tape the fretboard and clean the frets after the razorblading bit using brasso, it's not very abrasive, and then lemon oil etc.

[quote name='finnbass' post='29932' date='Jul 10 2007, 07:24 PM']Unless you're lucky, [b]they'll give it to the Saturday boy/girl (no skilled person would take on this job)[/b] who'll just do the first thing that comes into their head, and you'll get a bill for fifty quid!

Do it yourself my man! It's dead easy..and there's a lot to be said for being able to look after your own tool...:)[/quote]

I decided to do my own clean up after finding this very statement to be true!

Honestly it is a doddle and the razor blade tip is good, just bear in mind you are just scraping (not planing) the cr*p off. If you are worried about the scalloping potential just use a piece of stiff plastic. You'd never dream of taking your bass to the shop to change strings and honestly this is just as easy. If you think it'll be too time consuming bear in mind the whole job on that neck (inc' taking strings off and taping up etc) took 1 hour! How long will it take you to drive to where-ever you will take it? £30 - £50 will pay for a couple of sets of strings.

Ye gods, don't pay anyone else to do it, clear waste of beer money! Furthermore I remain sceptical about the trade's understanding of non-Fender basses with unfinished open-grained woods.

I prefer to cut a fret shape out of a business card, then lay the card over the fret so the fret sticks through the hole but the fingerboard is covered by the card, and then gently scrub the oxide layer off with a green scouring pad. Brasso works well too if you have that to hand. A lot quicker than masking the whole board!

I occasionally lightly wax the board itself.

But remember, the dirt keeps the funk! (An excellent excuse for my irregular care regime). My Warwick turns twenty this Autumn and is still going strong - do these frets ever wear out?!

Alex

If the fretboard is really caked try using really fine grade wire wool. Make sure you rub it in the same direction as the grain, you won't have to press too hard. This will also shine up the frets pretty nicely. After you do this use warwick wax to re-hydrate the wood, you'll notice a big difference.

If you want to make a really spanking job of the frets use Brasso or a similar kind of metal polish. Brasso make a 'wadding' version that comes in a tin, this stuff is particularly easy to use but either the brasso paste or liquid work fine too. Make sure you mask up the frets as warwickhunt shows in his pics.

[quote name='thumbo' post='29958' date='Jul 10 2007, 08:10 PM']If the fretboard is really caked try using really fine grade wire wool. Make sure you rub it in the same direction as the grain, you won't have to press too hard. This will also shine up the frets pretty nicely. After you do this use warwick wax to re-hydrate the wood, you'll notice a big difference.

If you want to make a really spanking job of the frets use Brasso or a similar kind of metal polish. Brasso make a 'wadding' version that comes in a tin, this stuff is particularly easy to use but either the brasso paste or liquid work fine too. Make sure you mask up the frets as warwickhunt shows in his pics.[/quote]

if you're using wire wool, then mask off the pickups and cavities as well...

MODS, this thread needs stickying... :) or else adding as a link into an existing sticky...

Thanks for all the advice guys... not sure what to do now, sounds like a few of you have had some nasty experiences.

I'm absolutely absolutely sure they will not give it to the work experience person (very PC there).. I know the main guitar man, he's well known around these parts anyway, and have played with him on a couple of occasions.. I doubt if he'd skimp the job, have known him for 20 years. They are a Warwick dealer as well and should know what they are dealing with.

Just to let you all know I'm not (hopefully) a complete numpty, the pre-amp in my Warwick was fitted by yours truly on the kitchen table. Your all gonna go "aggggggghh no, don't ever do that!!" now aren't you. hahahahaha

Richard

Edited by Vasquez Rich

[quote name='Vasquez Rich' post='30004' date='Jul 10 2007, 09:53 PM']Thanks for all the advice guys... not sure what to do now, sounds like a few of you have had some nasty experiences.

I'm absolutely absolutely sure they will not give it to the work experience person (very PC there).. I know the main guitar man, he's well known around these parts anyway, and have played with him on a couple of occasions.. I doubt if he'd skimp the job, have known him for 20 years. They are a Warwick dealer as well and should know what they are dealing with.

Just to let you all know I'm not (hopefully) a complete numpty, the pre-amp in my Warwick was fitted by yours truly [b]on the kitchen table[/b]. Your all gonna go "aggggggghh no, don't ever do that!!" now aren't you. hahahahaha

Richard[/quote]

Aggggggghh don't ever do that... you might inadvertently apply an even spread of butter on your bass instead of your toast! The upside is that there's always a knife handy to get those screws out with when you can't be bothered to go to the tool-box. :)

Working on your bass on the kitchen table... I take it you are single or recently divorced? My missus would lynch me.

[quote name='Paul Cooke' post='29999' date='Jul 10 2007, 09:47 PM']if you're using wire wool, then mask off the pickups and cavities as well...[/quote]

Whoops! How could I leave that out. It's a school boy error to get wire wool anywhere near pickups, it's a friggin nightmare getting the 'wire wool dandruff' off them.... i learned the hard way a couple of years ago with my warwick thumb :)

It's a little bit gross but I was told to use my fingernails and I have to admit it works pretty well.
God put those things on the end of your fingers for a reason :)

They are hard enough to scrape off all manner of crud and soft enough not to wreck the underlying surface.

You might want to buy a nailbrush to clean up afterwards, of course...

Guys,

Thanks for all the advice.. done the job tonight.. on the backroom table this time not in the kitchen :)

Masked off the fretboard to brasso the frets.. come up all shiny. Used an old plastic ruler to scrape off the fretboard and got lots of grubby little bits of old finger off it :huh: used some Jim Dunlop cleaner stuff I had knocking about and I have amazed even myself. Brilliant. Need some new strings now... and a month in which to get them suitably un-bright and then I'm all done.

Cheers,

Richard

Edited by Vasquez Rich

I've been browsing tinterweb recently on a similar subject.

A cheap/ good solution to clean a fretboard is Naptha or lighter fluid, maybe with a touch of mineral oil.

To "oil" a fretboard try baby oil. Baby oil is mineral oil and 99.n% of Lemon Oil is mineral oil (the stuff sold to clean fretboards, not the lemon oil essence). Never wax as it attracts crud. And never, never silcone based products.

And never chocolate either :)

Edited by mhuk

[quote name='mhuk' post='30951' date='Jul 12 2007, 10:08 PM']I've been browsing tinterweb recently on a similar subject.

A cheap/ good solution to clean a fretboard is Naptha or lighter fluid, maybe with a touch of mineral oil.

To "oil" a fretboard try baby oil. Baby oil is mineral oil and 99.n% of Lemon Oil is mineral oil (the stuff sold to clean fretboards, not the lemon oil essence). Never wax as it attracts crud. And never, never silcone based products.

And never chocolate either :)[/quote]

That make a lot of sense about wax attracting crud, but I find that sometimes after I've cleaned a Warwick neck properly it can look quite dry, especially if I've used fine grade wire wool. I think in this instance wax is quite essential because it is designed to be a protective layer, it's just important to make sure all residue from the wax is removed from the bass.

Edited by thumbo