Why become a member? ×

De-fretting and Epoxy

Duarte

I love my fretless stingray. It is my favorite bass. Now I'm thinking 'I wish that P bass was fretless'

Can anyone recommend anyone who can do this? Don't want to do it myself - you know what I mean. I'm also interested in epoxy-ing the fingerboard to use rounds on it. And I don't like rosewood fretless necks, so epoxy seems like a cool option. There are some sweet pics to be seen of the kind of thing I mean is you just google it...

Thanks guys!

i did it!
i followed budget-bassests advice but for me i think the heat made the wood stick a wee bit at the top and damaged it. They came out easier without with a sharp chisel and a pair of pliers.
Next i used a thin hacksaw to clean out the slot before filling it with little laminates of wood.
I went the cheaper option of using ronseal diamond hard wood varnish. To be honest i wouldnt do that again!

I was using a very cheap neck (though with a nice lump of rosewood on it) that i dinnae mind trashing if it all went wrong. I wouldn't probably do it on anything good.

I will throw out the option that going by the gallery's website prices a de-fret is £70. Epoxy is a pig to work with so that would prob cost a load more so i recon you are looking at £100 or so.
If you keep your eyes open for only a bit more you could buy a decent fretless off someone here to play with (and know your Jap P wouldnt loose any value and still be lovely)

[quote name='The Burpster' post='287820' date='Sep 20 2008, 08:43 AM'][url="http://www.woodwiz.com/epoxy"]http://www.woodwiz.com/epoxy[/url][/quote]

Wow, his work looks excellent! Although, there is a two year wait, and he's in the states.

Im not really sure about getting a new neck, I kinda like the I've got. I want the bass to be the same bass, but without frets.

[quote name='Duarte' post='287919' date='Sep 20 2008, 11:50 AM']Im not really sure about getting a new neck, I kinda like the I've got.

I want the bass to be the same bass, but without frets.[/quote]

Yep me too. 100% with you.

I'm looking for another PRS IV so that I can send the neck to them and have as a lined fretless. PRS aren't geared up to do this for me, or supply a new fretless neck for less than $2k :)

But thier custom paint and repair luthier recommended those guys.....