Why become a member? ×

Thinking of quitting bass. Opinions please

Twincam

I started playing at 16, at 19 my technique was terrible and listening back to recordings apart from an ok tone there was much to recommend me as a bassist with my bad timing ( way ahead of the beat) and note choices (far too busy)

I really wanted to play well and by about 22 after lots of work I became good enough to play with people I really respected. This came from both home practice and playing with others and lessons.

Gave up playing bass from about 25-32 trying to get my career as a psychologist off the ground and when I came back to it I wasn't as good player but my life experience gave me the confidence to go to more auditions and perform better than I ever did before.

In fact I actually did the most gigs I ever played in a year when I was 37 (about 70) and now play to the biggest audiences (up to 500 people) I've ever played to and I'm still learning all the time. Sometimes I think I'm a good player other times I think I'm complete crap. It took me ages to get good and I'm far from natural but that's no barrier to doing it if you really want to.

I spend my idle time at work thinking about the next gig and what I can do to improve my performance and even with a young family I've found a way to keep playing. Because I love it. If you love it, keep doing it and eventually it'll all click into place. Worth every frustrating moment trying to get there. Good luck with it all!

Interesting thread.. I think anyone who loves music enough to bother learning an instrument - to any level - never really stops or 'quits' being a Musician. You can't 'give it up'. Not really.

I stopped playing any kind of music for 10 years (hobbyist, amateur) and got back into it again in 2012, at the ripe old age of 39. I had the space to put all my gear into storage, and that's one bit of advice; Don't sell any of it - unless you have to.

The reason I got back into it (& playing Bass)? to help manage S.A.D. stress, anxiety and depression. Therapy! I love music more now, than I did when I started. I play, write and record my own stuff. I'm my own yardstick, and try not to compare myself to anyone else - still inspired by other players'. I am me, warts and all... too loud and probably very wrong.

This is good advice too >
[quote name='12stringbassist' timestamp='1455796922' post='2982488']
Do what makes you happy, not what makes your girlfriend happy.
Play easier tunes to start with.

Look at Youtube tutorials if you can't do lessons in person.
Good luck.
[/quote]

Well, have you give up yet? :P

Like he above says, if you really learn an instrument, you never fully give up.

A couple of years ago I stopped playing bass & sold most of my gear (except a bass & some cables). No intention of playing live again.
I do however have great fun recording & as I play other instruments too, never spend much time away from music.

Last year a chap asked if I wanted to jam with him & a couple of others just for fun. Had a could of outings, but the last time was late November, so due another jam soon I hope. I'm hoping it doesn't go anywhere really or I might have to buy some sort of rig.

Anyway, if you do give up bass, mind & take up another instrument (I wouldn't choose guitar, maybe bouzouki?).

Expanding on the find a band part of the thread, can I reccomend the humble Ukukele scene for getting gigs and stage time?
Half the people can't play, the other half are class musicians and it all seems to work.
Each and every Uke band usually needs a bass player and they welcome anyone and everyone, to go by my experince.

I play a full size bass for one local Uke band and dep for another.
Maybe turn up to your local Uke band with a uke then talk bass?
I'll often take my bass and sit at the back (if not up front) and play through headphones and use the session to sharpen up.
To get as much stage time as I've had in the last 3 years Uke-gig-ing I'd have had to do about 25 years worth of open mic nights.

Oh, and taking of hand issues, I saw these guys in a local pub last year. [url="http://www.gibson.com/News-Lifestyle/Features/en-us/Gibson-Interview-Xander-and-the-Peace-Pirates.aspx"]http://www.gibson.com/News-Lifestyle/Features/en-us/Gibson-Interview-Xander-and-the-Peace-Pirates.aspx[/url]