Why become a member? ×

A room full of Amps & Cabs

deksawyer

[quote name='bassace' timestamp='1454068195' post='2965995']
Was listed under Events? Did Bluejay know?
[/quote]

I don't think so... it wasn't an... 'event' as such... just three guys (and a girl hostage) making a little bit of noise in one room somewhere in Fife :)

I gigged the two TKS 1126's last night.

As apparently they are a bit mid scoop, set up for how I considered I would need to deal with that.

PUMA 500.
Taste 1 o'clock
Bass 10 o'clock
Low mid 2 o'clock
High mid 1 o'clock
Treble noon

Sounded bloody marvelous.
Surprisingly they are the most "clear" sounding cabs I've had.
Beautiful reproduction of every note, from the smooth bassy rumblings of John Paul Jones Zepp 2 era, to the real clank of Harris.

I knew I was sh*t, these bloody cabs completely, irrevocably confirmed it. :blush:

They are a touch bigger and heavier than I thought but they really are worth it.
Great things :D , cheers Jose, you are a legend (and a damn nice chap to boot).

Pic courtesy of little drummer boy (I wouldn't have missed my black jazz hiding behind the '79 Gordon Smith!). EDIT, oh, and notice the only one NOT mic'd up! Nae bother.

[url="http://s1354.photobucket.com/user/Karl_Altdorfer/media/12647024_10153910918528739_4400397769917726932_n_zpsrrttinfg.jpg.html"][/url]

Edited by karlfer

Glad you enjoyed the 1126, Karl! They are really nice cabs!

As for me... I also enjoyed your S112s too :)

Last week I used just 2x S112 and a Streamliner 900 for rehearsal in a big room with a loud band. They did the job, no doubt, but I could tell that they will not have enough oomph for other than onstage monitoring and small gigs. So I got Karl's pair of black S112s to add to my blue ones.

The temptation to create a ridiculous megastack was great:

But other than for the photograph, I didn't really do anything with the cabs in that configuration.

I could have tried them like this too:

but I didn't.

I just used them like this:

The cabs are 8ohm each and both my amps, a Streamliner 900 and a MarkBass LM3 only do 4ohm minimum, so the speakers were linked as 2 pairs in parallel (4 ohm each), in series, giving a load of 8 ohm. Therefore the Streamliner outputs 5-600W max and the LM3 300W.

First impression: wow, this is LOUD.
The same character of the stack of 2x S112 was there... just a lot louder. A lot. No lack of bottom end either. I thought it didn't sound quite as clear as the 2x stack did, but I'm not sure if that's because of the 8ohm load (vs 4ohm of the 2x stack) or the orientation/configuration of the cabs. But it sounded very good through either amp. And did I say it was very loud?

I was surprised to find a lot of bottom end compared to the 2x stack alone. Maybe that was just the result of being louder? I don't know. I certainly didn't feel I wanted to add more bass, unlike when I used the 2x stack.

I used my Stingray with the controls set pretty much flat (I can tell because I have a bypass switch, so I can compare), and the following settings on the amps:

On the Streamliner the extra gain button was OFF.

With those settings both amps sounded just about as loud... but the difference is that if I turn the volume up on the Streamliner, it barely changes, while the LM3 had quite a bit more volume in store. The gain on the LM3 was set to just before clipping if I slapped. On the Streamliner, I could still crank up both preamp gain/volume knobs so I'm sure the Streamliner could match the volume of the LM3. Can it get louder? Perhaps when engaging the extra gain switch... but I was after a pretty clean sound, so I kept the gain button off.

That produced a loud, punchy, meaty bass sound that worked well for RATM songs.

4x cabs seems a bit overkill... but look at their size. They're still a pretty compact rig, very easy to transport and carry (each cab is small and light). Two cabs for onstage monitoring (gigs with PA support, which is most) or some small gigs without PA support, and another two cabs for bigger ones. I have a Wolfcraft foldable trolley I can use when there are no spare hands to help me out and I need to carry everything myself... but being so portable, I'm finding that even the singer lends a hand! :lol:

I enjoyed this. Can't wait to actually gig them!

[quote name='deksawyer' timestamp='1454411973' post='2969407']
Ha ha, you said you would do the mega stack photo!!

And if you're going to stack them like that, at least alternate the colours!! :gas:

Looks good though.

D.
[/quote]

I didn't want to spent too much time on that, the band was already giving me funny looks :P