Why become a member? ×

Funk needed!

Raslee

Hi Folks, I'm a 3 note reggae guy usually but i'm going to be jammin with another band soon and need the music tab or score or even just the riffs noted on ere'

I heard that old Greg had lost the Funk soooo i'm on a mission to find it again (God & Bootsy willing!)

Looking for Lonnie Liston Smith 'Expansions' (thinks its around C Pentatonic ish) & Aretha Franklins 'Rock Steay' (Thinks its A minor ish & D Bridge or Chorus bit)

Any help would be massively appreciated! :)

Edited by Rasta

Rock Steady is a fabulous groove. You're right, it's an A 'verse' with a D bridge. Honestly, don't bother looking for tab or anything for it, just give it a lot of listens and play along with it. It's all about feel, and you'll [i]never[/i] get that from tab or transcripts. It's a mutha, you'll love it. A 2 note bassline has never been so funky :)

[quote name='Rich' post='285706' date='Sep 17 2008, 11:24 AM']Rock Steady is a fabulous groove. You're right, it's an A 'verse' with a D bridge. Honestly, don't bother looking for tab or anything for it, just give it a lot of listens and play along with it. It's all about feel, and you'll [i]never[/i] get that from tab or transcripts. It's a mutha, you'll love it. A 2 note bassline has never been so funky :)[/quote]
Whats those runs in that D bridge though...my ear isn't that good...knowing the notes would help, but yeah man i feel the riddim...or rhythm i should say in this case.

Just gave Rock Steady a listen (after a long while). Don't bother playing the bass part on the D chord exactly as it is on the record - it's not about that really. The bass can cut loose a bit on that section, get busier and syncopate a lot. There's nothing wrong with playing a simplified approximation - just so long as it's funky! (It's basically a D7 chord from the sounds of things - don't have a bass on me and my ear's not great - so just do the whole 60s R&B "Root-Minor 7th-Octave-Major 3rd-4th-#4-5" thing).

Edited by The Funk

This might help with Rock Steady - not the funkiest version but slightly slower than the original and bass is pretty prominent in the mix:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7gPYVyBzL0&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7gPYVyBzL0...feature=related[/url]

I quite often hunt around on YouTube to see how people have covered songs I want to learn, gives an idea of how other people have interpreted the original (especially if the original is tough to play!)

Edited by molan

Cheers guys, yeah i was thinkin of doin the chromatic thing around D7 ish...still it'd be nice to know what is being played. Can anyone help with Expansions....if you haven't got the tune get it! Damn funky man Lonnie Liston Smith "Expansions"...think i first heard it at Glastonbury in the early 90's...well funky repetitive b-line...just wish i could work it out!

:)

Edited by Rasta

[quote name='Rasta' post='286426' date='Sep 18 2008, 08:47 AM']Yeah...thats the tune....well funky...but how d'ya play it????? :) :huh:[/quote]

Are you wanting tab for it or something?

I could probably do that for you, but it's really easy to work out from listening to the intro. If you're officially giving up, say so and I'll knock up a tab. :huh:

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='286508' date='Sep 18 2008, 11:21 AM']Are you wanting tab for it or something?

I could probably do that for you, but it's really easy to work out from listening to the intro. If you're officially giving up, say so and I'll knock up a tab. :)[/quote]
thanks thisnameismistaken, a tab would be most ideal...and massively appreciated....thanks (just the main groove i'm sure i can improvise around it a bit as per the tune)

[code]g|-------3--555---|----------------|
d|-----35-------54|3---11---------0|
a|3---6-----------|-------3--1-----|
e|----------------|------------3---|

g|-------3--555---|----------------|
d|-----35-------54|333-11---------0|
a|3---6-----------|-------3-x1---1-|
e|----------------|------------3---|[/code]

The x is a mute note. Sometimes he only plays the one high 'C' rather than three of them, etc. I've spaced it so if you count the empty beats as semiquaver rests it should be easy to get the timing right. Just don't get confused thinking the bar line in the middle is a chord at the first fret. :)

[quote n

The x is a mute note. Sometimes he only plays the one high 'C' rather than three of them, etc. I've spaced it so if you count the empty beats as semiquaver rests it should be easy to get the timing right. Just don't get confused thinking the bar line in the middle is a chord at the first fret. :)
[/quote]

Nice one matey, i was very close but a few bits there for me....much basslove