Why become a member? ×

I think I've started to understand this bass thing. Epiphany?

JimBobTTD

I've been playing bass since 1992 (or thereabouts) but did take an extended break from playing music from 1996-2003. I've always loved the bass, but always played guitar too.

Recently, I've been playing a lot of bass. A lot. The last 14 months or so have been almost guitar-free, and in that time, I've been listening to a lot of music (more than usual), playing a lot of music and started a band. But just the other day I think that I finally [i][b]got it[/b][/i]. I'm not 100% sure what I mean by that or how to start trying to explain it, but I started to see the bass as [i]more [/i]than I used to before.

Before, I saw it as something which plays an octave below the guitars, occasionally throws in some odd bits here and there, and plays with the drums every now and then. But now I see that it is an instrument in its own right, rather than a guitar an octave down. It doesn't need to [i]follow [/i]the guitars. I now understand why someone may want more than just the four strings. I think I get why fretless basses are more than just basses without frets. More importantly, I now [b]consciously [/b]understand why I wanted to play bass back in 1992.

Sorry for the ramble. I thought that if anyone would understand what I'm on about, it would be someone here!

I though this thread was going to be a retelling of the joke about the vicar & the bass player:

A vicar was chatting to a bass player at a cocktail party. The vicar asks the bass player why he plays bass. The bass player replies that he had always wanted to play an instrument but could never decide which instrument to learn until one day he was in his local music shop and saw a wonderful thunderbird bass which he bought and has since enabled bass playing to become a central part of his life.

Ah said the vicar - "that must have been a wonderful epiphany" to which the bass player replied...

"No its a proper Gibson!" :)

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='285356' date='Sep 16 2008, 08:05 PM']I though this thread was going to be a retelling of the joke about the vicar & the bass player:

A vicar was chatting to a bass player at a cocktail party. The vicar asks the bass player why he plays bass. The bass player replies that he had always wanted to play an instrument but could never decide which instrument to learn until one day he was in his local music shop and saw a wonderful thunderbird bass which he bought and has since enabled bass playing to become a central part of his life.

Ah said the vicar - "that must have been a wonderful epiphany" to which the bass player replied...

"No its a proper Gibson!" :huh:[/quote]
Oh dear god! :) That's a real bassist's joke haha