Why become a member? ×

What to do with old, tired amps?

Twincam

I have an old mk2 te commando 100w amp taking up space. It's tatty and needs some work internally although it does work (so to say) and is the loudest 100w I've ever heard.
I'm not sure it's worth much or anything.
I could part it out maybe, give it away, try sell it, or convert it into a cab. Seems a waste to take it too the tip.

My lass is not happy it's sat there.

Don't know what this would fetch in decent nick, but my AH-150 might be worth over £100. Big deal.

Assuming your unit is worth c.£50 at best, and there'd be quite a buggeration factor in trying to realize that, why not give it to a local Secondary School Engineering Dept as a repair project which can then (is successful, obv) be used by their Music Dept?

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1452609092' post='2951581']
Don't know what this would fetch in decent nick, but my AH-150 might be worth over £100. Big deal.

Assuming your unit is worth c.£50 at best, and there'd be quite a buggeration factor in trying to realize that, why not give it to a local Secondary School Engineering Dept as a repair project which can then (is successful, obv) be used by their Music Dept?
[/quote]

I tried that at a local school two years ago. They told me that the students aren't allowed to repair electrical equipment that is to be used as its an insurance no no. They told me that if I had it repaired they would happily take it. In the end I gave it to the chap who was (at the time) giving me lessons and he donated it to one of his students.

Put them in the loft as "they may become useful one day", only down side is when you move house & the other half see's them. Good-bye my trusty Laney combo, you served me well (she took it to the tip). Can you guess what I kind of need at the moment too? That's right, a cheap combo!

[quote name='Lw.' timestamp='1452611615' post='2951639']
Put them in the loft as "they may become useful one day", only down side is when you move house & the other half see's them. Good-bye my trusty Laney combo, you served me well (she took it to the tip). Can you guess what I kind of need at the moment too? That's right, a cheap combo!
[/quote]
There's an [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]mk2 te commando 100w amp someone;'s trying to get rid of somewhere ;)[/font][/color]

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1452613231' post='2951655']
Donate it to a local community music project - they're all having their funding severely cut or taken away completely so are always glad of donations.
[/quote]

Yep, I'd be looking for something community-related.

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1452613368' post='2951659']

Yep, I'd be looking for something community-related.
[/quote]

The thing is it needs work. Has a lot of noise in the signal, caps I guess and loud pops when turned off again some caps on the power switch need looking at.
So I would feel a bit crap trying to give it away not working to something like that, when they would have to spend money to get it "possibly" working.

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1452617668' post='2951733']
The thing is it needs work. Has a lot of noise in the signal, caps I guess and loud pops when turned off again some caps on the power switch need looking at.
So I would feel a bit crap trying to give it away not working to something like that, when they would have to spend money to get it "possibly" working.
[/quote]

They can always say no if it's no use to them, and they may know of somewhere that could offer it a home...you'd certainly have discharged your duty in terms of 'finding it a good home'

Don't junk it tho - someone will have a use for it, even for just a project. If you still don't like taking money for it, give your profit to the community project you offered it to in the first place !! :)

Edited by ahpook