Why become a member? ×

Music Jam

Si600

In the vein of not letting inexperience stop me I'm now running jam nights on Wednesdays at my local. The first one was tonight and just when I was getting worried people showed up. Only two a 16 year old and a chap who had been playing guitar for nine months, but has been playing bass for a year. I'm not sure what I expected but from small acorns big oak trees will grow. Trying them to start off was hard work though, but once the ice had broken we got on OK. We all learnt something from each other and no one got upset. More advertising required for next week I feel. If anyone wants to pop along it's in West Haddon. PM for details

Edited by Si600

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1452764994' post='2953157']
Make sure it stays friendly and welcoming. I went to a jam once, there was a clique of regulars clearly "in charge", I got glared at for making mistakes, the whole atmosphere was rather unfriendly. I never went back.
[/quote]

Definitely.

That's why I think the OP will do better to try and get it going through word of mouth as I tend to stay away from established or generically advertised evenings.

The one I attend on boxing night at our local is full of locals who have known each other for years. They're friendly but it's not particularly organised to suit all comers.

We had a guy who left it until 11:40 to ask if he could play his harmonica. He was really good. Shame he hadn't stepped up an hour earlier.

Last night the young lad who came to the first one returned. We were a bit stymied by the Wendy-Ball being on in the pub so we stayed unplugged until it finished. We were talking about word of mouth. If all the people we collectively know turned up it would be reasonably attended. People being people, don't do what you would like on the whole...

I'm going to try and keep it friendly, mix up the people and stop anyone hogging the evening, unless there's only one of them of course and they fit in with the rest! It's only been going two evenings though, so I'm not expecting anything exciting to happen for a while.

I did get praised for my Sweet Child O' Mine. I nailed it according to the chap in the pub. I only know the intro and the verse and I had to start the intro twice because I messed it up. Still, it pleased him!

That's the best thing about jams. The audience are there to see what happens. Whatever noise comes out they'll be interested.

They're not really there to get drunk and jump up and down to Dakota. Although they will (It's an easy number, chart it out ;) )