Why become a member? ×

Storing PA gear over winter

Truckstop

Hello all, looking for a few tips!

I own my bands PA and at the moment it's all stored in the garage. Well, I say garage, it's more like a shed. Made of asbestos. With gaps between the floor and the walls and an inch gap between the two halves of the front doors.

It's pretty rickety but the roof and walls don't leak when it rains but obviously it's more or less the temperature of the outside environment which is starting to get pretty cold.

Everything is in their own padded soft case (tops, sub, cable bag and mixer) and it's all off the floor on a riser that I built. According to Mrs. T I definitely have no room in the house to store stuff so its all staying in the shed until further notice.

Is there anything I could be doing to prevent or reduce the chances of damaging my gear due to cold and moist weather conditions? Does cold weather affect the electric components much?

Because I'm worried about condensation, I usually get everything inside the house the morning of use (like a gig or rehearsal in the evening) so that it has a chance to acclimatise before being used. Does this actually do anything?

Any thoughts would be gratefully received!

Alex

I would have thought that protection from damp is the main issue. Perhaps wrapping the equipment in tarpaulins etc and raising it off the floor on something like pallets would assist. Wrapping should help if there is frost.

Edited by Number6

Back in the day, all my gear (including a couple of Ormats) lived in the back of an aluminium box truck with a fibreglass roof. The 'delicate' stuff had a heavy cloth (old cinema curtain) slung over it. I hate to say this, but I never had a moments problem.....I'd suggest that the OP goes to Jewsons and buys a large, cheap tarpaulin.....

:)