Why become a member? ×

Lots of pedal choices and things

Finbar

Ooft, where to start with this...

I am eventually going to overhaul my entire effects rig, when I have the money for it. I know it'll be expensive, from the outset. But just so I know, I want to work out what I really want to buy, so I know how much it'll cost. Although I'll probably go second hand for quite a bit of it I guess.

Basically, right now I'm running:

Conklin GTBD-7 (Active) -> Boss GT6-B -> Marshall VBA400 head and Marshall VBC412 cab

I find that the GT6 colours my tone too much for my liking - I really want to keep the natural tone from that amp as much as possible. It's also a pain to use, and not as versatile as separate pedals.

I'm going to be buying a new 7 string, but it'll be passive. So any choices I make on pedals will be based on the fact I'll be using a passive instrument.

I have a vague list of effects I want on my pedalboard to replace the GT6, and basically I'm just looking for input on what would work/what wouldn't work with regards to specific pedals and things like that. I know some of you are proper pedal buffs, so it seems the logical place to ask :) I think I want true bypass wherever possible, as I want to keep the natural tone of the Marshall as much as possible.

So here's the list (in no particular order), with a few comments on a couple of things if I've already given it limited thought:

[b]Tuner [/b] - I was thinking of a Boss TU-2, but probably a Korg DT10?

[b]Compressor[/b] - Maybe a MXR DynaComp? I'm not really sure if I want a compressor or not yet though.

[b]Noise Suppressor[/b] - The only one that springs to mind really is the Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor.

[b]Volume Pedal[/b] - It looks like the best option may be a Morley Pro Series/Morley Little Alligator, or the Ernie Ball Junior one. Input appreciated on this :huh: The EB one has a smaller pedalboard footprint though, which is a plus.

[b]Chorus[/b] - No idea on this yet. I leave chorus on all the time though.

[b]Delay[/b] - Again, no thoughts yet, but a tap tempo function would be useful.

[b]Looper[/b] - I'm almost entirely set on the Line 6 DL4 pedal for this, as I'm attracted to the 'play once' feature, and the user friendliness of it. Any other options? The competition seems to be the Boss RC-20.

[b]Reverb[/b] - This is by no means one of the most important ones. I'm not sure if I want it yet, but again - no thoughts so far.

[b]Distortion[/b] - Okay, I haven't given too much time to the distortions yet, but they'll be important to the sound. I want one as a lead sound, so something which is I guess pretty high gain and 'guitar'ish. This is mostly used for playing chords on my 7 string, and the odd lead melody with plenty sustain. Would a guitar pedal actually be better for this?

[b]Overdrive[/b] - This is the second half of the distortion problem. I want something for much lower stuff, on the E/A strings mostly. Something grittier than the lead sound, with a bit of bite, but keeping the definition. I was thinking that something with a blend feature would be best for this? Correct me if I'm wrong. I've been underwhelmed with the distortions on my GT6 though so far, and my Big Muff is absolutely too fuzzy and messy for this - I want something tight and focussed.

[b]Whammy[/b] - Two contenders as far as I can tell - the old faithful Digitech whammy, or the Boss PS5, with an external expression pedal. The Boss would take up less space, and be every bit as versatile though, as far as I can tell.

[b]EQ Pedal[/b] - I'll basically be using this as a volume boost for when I'm doing any tapping on my high strings, as it tends to get lost in the mix otherwise. Basically I want to set it up so that when it's activated, the lower notes are the same volume, but the higher frequencies get a boost. Does this sound like a viable plan? I'm thinking the Boss GEB-7 is the best plan, as the guitar one would cope with the higher frequencies well, but wouldn't cope too well with my attempts to keep the bass frequencies at the same volume as when it isn't on.

Other than that, I'll be changing my Wireless receiver to one of those in the kind of stompbox design. For the pedalboard, I think a Diago Showman would work quite nicely, and a Visual Sound 1Spot should power it all with no problems.

Thoughts anyone?

Sorry about the size of all this :/

Cheers,

Chris

• 1 year later...

[quote name='Finbar' post='29489' date='Jul 10 2007, 12:03 AM'][b]Distortion[/b] - Okay, I haven't given too much time to the distortions yet, but they'll be important to the sound. I want one as a lead sound, so something which is I guess pretty high gain and 'guitar'ish. This is mostly used for playing chords on my 7 string, and the odd lead melody with plenty sustain. Would a guitar pedal actually be better for this?

[b]Overdrive[/b] - This is the second half of the distortion problem. I want something for much lower stuff, on the E/A strings mostly. Something grittier than the lead sound, with a bit of bite, but keeping the definition. I was thinking that something with a blend feature would be best for this? Correct me if I'm wrong. I've been underwhelmed with the distortions on my GT6 though so far, and my Big Muff is absolutely too fuzzy and messy for this - I want something tight and focused.[/quote]
Have you tried the Ashdown Hyper drive? Really good build quality, and sounds fantastic, no loss in bottom end, and can do lead sounds brilliantly, although you may need two of them if you want both distortion and overdrive in one song, just to speed up the settings change.
Zach

Cheap and cheerful answer would be - Ibanez PD7 for distortion and overdrive, Boss RC20 for loops ( you can pick up the earlier ones quite cheaply on eBay) and a Zoom B2.1u for everything else.

(Chuck in an EBS Multicomp, MicroPOG and Danelectro Backtalk and that is basically my board for rock gigs)

Cheers
Alun

I would go:

[b]Tuner -[/b] Korg Pitchblack. Small and sexy, true bypass and it has a nice strobe function.

[b]Compressor -[/b] EBS Multicomp / Demeter Compulator / Maxon CP-9 Pro / BBE Opto Stomp / Diamond Compressor (Check out [url="http://www.ovnilabs.com"]ovnilabs.com[/url] for a good roundup of bass compressors). I have the latter on order, but bought it on pure faith after hearing amazing reviews. Fingers crossed!

[b]Noise Suppressor -[/b] Only buy if you really need one.

[b]Volume Pedal -[/b] Ernie Ball Jr, hands down.

[b]Chorus -[/b] Not into chorus on bass, but Analogman seems to be top dog. I get a chorus / flange sound out of my EHX Stereo Memory Man with Hazarai though...

[b]Delay / Looper -[/b] EHX SMMH!

[b]Reverb -[/b] The SMMH can also do a good reverb sound. But I want the Line6 Verbzilla for it's pant-wettingly awesome 'Octo' shimmer effect.

[b]Distortion -[/b] Turbo RAT perhaps? Very lead guitar sounding and works well on bass.

[b]Overdrive -[/b] Go for some kind of tube screamer pedal, I use a modded Bad Monkey and it's great for this.

[b]Whammy -[/b] Word round the camp fire is that the Boss PS5 is a bit pants compared to the PS3, so make sure you try before you buy!

[b]EQ Pedal -[/b] If you can wield a soldering iron, check out the BYOC 10 band EQ. It comes with different resistor choices allowing you to choose your EQ bands, plus it's probably the smallest sized 10 band EQ you can get.

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='272817' date='Aug 29 2008, 08:38 PM']I would go:

[b]Tuner -[/b] Korg Pitchblack. Small and sexy, true bypass and it has a nice strobe function.[/quote]

You are the man! Thanks for that - exactly what I'm after!