Why become a member? ×

RECOMMENDED LUTHIERS IN BIRMINGHAM, UK PLEASE? (for fret dressing/levelling)

Greg.Bassman

Hi all. Happy new year!

Recommended luthiers in Birmingham, UK please? Someone who lives and breaths fret dressing/levelling...

Ok so, I love my MM Fender Jazz; as you can expect from a mid-range bass though, the fret work is not that great- as a result I have to keep my action higher to compensate for the buzz. I'm a light player, so I require as little fight in my strings as possible, and frankly its playing hell with my technique- so I need the strings as close to the fingerboard as I can. I'm tired of compromising now... help!

Cheers. Greg,

Edited by Greg.Bassman

[quote name='tredders' timestamp='1451670277' post='2942296']
I've used Peter Allen for the last 10 years or so. He's always been consistently excellent. Website below - he's just outside Warwick, about 5 mins off the M40 Warwick turning.

[url="http://www.guitartechnicalservices.co.uk"]http://www.guitartec...lservices.co.uk[/url]
[/quote]

I contacted him once. He seemed............odd.

He basically told me that he would set it up, as he wanted it, not how I wanted it. He seemed to think that what everyone else did was wrong.

Just my experience of him.

:)

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1451672338' post='2942327']

I contacted him once. He seemed............odd.

He basically told me that he would set it up, as he wanted it, not how I wanted it. He seemed to think that what everyone else did was wrong.

Just my experience of him.

:)
[/quote]

That is strange... He's always asked me exactly how I wanted my basses setup (and he's done a few for me!!), and has delivered. Doesn't sound like Peter at all - maybe he was having a bad day?

[quote name='Subbeh' timestamp='1451671694' post='2942316']
Guitar spares & repairs in the jewellery quarter, great guys who do top quality work, really rate them.
[/quote]
Always use them too. Excellent service and the guy even remembers how I like my string height on 6-stringers (bit higher than most people as I finger pick). Website seems offline ATM but it's in Northampton St.

Edited by organic