Why become a member? ×

Synth/filter pedal w/ expression pedal input? IE: Moogerfooger MuRF

AinsleyWalker

[quote name='owen' timestamp='1450631076' post='2934449']
You could look at the Boss SYB5 which does this. As it happens I have one to flog :)
[/quote]

Ah yes I'd forgotten about that one. I'm not looking to buy immediately but when the time comes I'll give you a shout and see if it's still for sale ! Cheers

So I've done some more research, the SYB5 isn't quite what I'm after..
I'm after something a bit less in your face which can create a rounder type thing I'm after, IE: the track below. The 'wubs' created in the bassline are done with an expression pedal. He has a Moogerfooger Bass MuRF but he also had a Pod HD500X so I'm not sure which is being controlled.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueI9c_egcZQ

The MuRF pedals are not synth pedals. They're multi filter pedals. Have a look at the review I did a few years back.
If you're wanting synth, I'd suggest going down the route of either a pedal that says synth on it (or maybe the pigtronix mothership), or look at getting a few pedals to make a synth filter section (like octaver, dirt, LPF like the moog mf101 & so on).

Had a listen to the song you posted. Chris used a Bass MuRf to oscillate notes, but it wasn't used to get the sound the it oscillates, that was mostly done with a Line6 M9.

Here's what the MuRF actually does...

http://youtu.be/jisrnigFkAw

A bit of a long video, but I tried to give as much info as I could.

I did this a couple of years ago for the comp on here, the Bass Murf is used for the faster wubs & the slower one is just done by foot on the Moog MF-101. Just after the 2:50 mark, you can hear the Murf clearly.

https://soundcloud.com/xgsjx/the-auroral-zone

Happy fx board building. :santa:

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1450685741' post='2934770']
The MuRF pedals are not synth pedals. They're multi filter pedals. Have a look at the review I did a few years back.
If you're wanting synth, I'd suggest going down the route of either a pedal that says synth on it (or maybe the pigtronix mothership), or look at getting a few pedals to make a synth filter section (like octaver, dirt, LPF like the moog mf101 & so on).
[/quote]

Yeah I was aware of that actually, and I've seen your video already while scouring for demos ;) !
The modular route is actually what I'm doing now and I'm getting some really cool synth tones with octave, various dirts, EQ, chorus and tremolo in sections, I'm just looking for something now that will allow me to create oscillation/'wubs'. Do you recommend a LPF for that perhaps?

[quote name='AinsleyWalker' timestamp='1450700078' post='2934926']
Yeah I was aware of that actually, and I've seen your video already while scouring for demos ;) !
The modular route is actually what I'm doing now and I'm getting some really cool synth tones with octave, various dirts, EQ, chorus and tremolo in sections, I'm just looking for something now that will allow me to create oscillation/'wubs'. Do you recommend a LPF for that perhaps?
[/quote]
I'd put the LPF first on your list & then go for a MuRF. The MuRF can open up a load of ideas & routing though. :)

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1450705245' post='2934996']
I'd put the LPF first on your list & then go for a MuRF. The MuRF can open up a load of ideas & routing though. :)
[/quote]

Thanks! Do you know of any other LPFs with exp input? Had a browse and not seeing too many. I'm assuming a Crybaby or similar Wah wouldn't have the same effect?

[quote name='AinsleyWalker' timestamp='1450707172' post='2935034']
Thanks! Do you know of any other LPFs with exp input? Had a browse and not seeing too many. I'm assuming a Crybaby or similar Wah wouldn't have the same effect?
[/quote]
There are some others, such as the Source Audio BEF Pro with the Hot Hand (which is really good for wubs), but it's not much cheaper than the Moog MF-101.
There's a few threads on here about different LPFs. Everyone has their own favourite. My advice is to try a few & see what you like the sound of.