Why become a member? ×

Zappa

YouMa

I have just watched the baby snakes DVD by Frank Zappa (Been a bit out there the last couple of months.) How good! is this guy,it was like watching a circus.Zappas guitar work is mind blowing.I love jazz a lot and thought id got into and liked some pretty weird stuff but i may pack in the reefa now,i cant believe zappa did all that stuff straight.

I was lucky enough to work with some of Zappas band members, they told of an incredibly strong work ethic with an attention to detail rarely encountered in pop and rock. They went on tour knowing 150+ tunes and the set list would be announced just before the show. Segues and musical interludes were indicated with a sophisticated set of hand signals. It was an amazing period in rock/pop and those guys were at the top of their game. I saw Zappa live twice and did a three month tour of Europe with one of his long time lead vocalists Ike Willis. I was so very sorry when Frank died as I felt that he was actually arriving at his true potential as a serious composer when he died. This takes nothing away from what he did achieve which was immense.
Jake

Edited by jakesbass

Respect to you then jake.ZootAllures! Zappa makes me feel like im not going nuts.Zappa should not have died,there is no justice the best always get taken first.Get your prostates checked regular its a big killer,even the last interviews with Frank he was just the same and tobbaco was his favorite vegetable.For me Zappa is up there with mozart,and zappas doing a hand stand at the same time.

[quote name='beerdragon' post='283472' date='Sep 14 2008, 01:25 AM']I saw the mothers in the seventies at a festival somewhere. it went way over my head i'm afraid. but then i could'nt wait for Led Zep to come on.[/quote]

I suppose it depends on your frame of mind at that moment in the evening.I was just a baby,i do have the DVDs but i am very envious of you guys who were actually there.I would love to actually talk to someone who had been at space ritual live.Hawkwind were the bollocks! Bass playing reached a certain peak in the 70s.

[quote name='YouMa' post='283485' date='Sep 14 2008, 02:01 AM']I would love to actually talk to someone who had been at space ritual live.Hawkwind were the bollocks! Bass playing reached a certain peak in the 70s.[/quote]
+1 to that!.... [b]Space Ritual[/b] was the album that made me wanna pick up a bass!... (Lemmy at his best!)
Saw them several times later ('Astounding Sounds' & 'Quark, Strangeness & charm' period......)
But there was really only a brief window around the Space Ritual time in their long career, where all the ingredients were right....

I believe it was Roy Estrada & Dave Parlato doing the bass work on 'Zoot Allures'
My favourite Zappa albums are 'Sheik Yerbouti', 'Live in New York' & the epic 'Joe's Garage' :huh: :)

Edited by bottomfeed

[quote name='YouMa' post='283495' date='Sep 14 2008, 03:50 AM']Who played the bass on the original zoot allures? that track is just beautiful.[/quote]

The cd credits say Dave Parlato

the stuff with Scott Thunes on bass is way better ( or just more what im into )
check him out