Why become a member? ×

Shakey looking 76 Precision?

Roger2611

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fender-Precision-1976-/281878121986?hash=item41a13ece02:g:JI4AAOSwcBhWZWIc

What do we collectively reckon on this offering?

To me the neck plate looks wrong... I would have thought it should have a gasket for this year?

The logo looks wrong and I can't fathom out why someone would scratch off the pat numbers below the decal

The headstock looks too orange

I don't know why you'd scratch off the pat numbers, either. Maybe they're just Photoshopped out for some weird reason..? Still no idea why, though. And yes, there should be a black plastic pad under the neck plate. But the neck plate itself looks right.

1976 was the year the serial number moved from the neck plate to the headstock and the logo changed to a different typeface. But early 1976 P Basses had this type-C 'TV' logo and the 'F' serial number neck plate - mine does, and that's definitely a 1976.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1449576807' post='2924754']
...don't look like a 76 P neck to me...
[/quote]

You could be right there, John. Also the original pickguard has too many thumbrest holes in it. But it could have been moved, of course.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1449576532' post='2924749']
I don't know why you'd scratch off the pat numbers, either. Maybe they're just Photoshopped out for some weird reason..? Still no idea why, though. And yes, there should be a black plastic pad under the neck plate. But the neck plate itself looks right.

1976 was the year the serial number moved from the neck plate to the headstock and the logo changed to a different typeface. But early 1976 P Basses had this type-C 'TV' logo and the 'F' serial number neck plate - mine does, and that's definitely a 1976.
[/quote]
My 75 had new logo WITHOUT serial, E side thumb rest, neckplate with serial, black gasket. Never say never with Fender.

[quote name='Telebass' timestamp='1449788129' post='2926972']
My 75 had new logo WITHOUT serial, E side thumb rest, neckplate with serial, black gasket. Never say never with Fender.
[/quote]

It's true, you always have to say 'around that year' or 'it was at about this time...' :)